How long does it take for checks to clear?

I have $25 in my bank account but I need a little more money. I was hoping to be able to go to Walmart or somewhere and write a check for something and some cash back but I was wondering if it would go through..I don't care if I end up with an overdraft fee. My last check was short..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:45 PM on May. 8, 2011 in Money & Work

• 2 business days
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 6:46 PM on May. 8, 2011

• At Wal-Mart the check will go through right away. Most places now do it that way. They run it electronically now and give you the check back. Not sure when you get paid or how much you need but I would seek other options.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 6:47 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Walmart uses an online check verifying service and checks written to them can clear the same day they are written.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:47 PM on May. 8, 2011

• I am supposed to be receiving money from my kids father..I am just trying to come up with a backup plan if he doesn't come through..
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:53 PM on May. 8, 2011

• walmart uses checks as a form of a debit transaction so immediately. ..

now checks vary for cashing.. if its from the same bank you can cash it that day, if its out of town or over a set amount (like $500) and personal it could take up to 5 business days.. anything else is usually in the middle somewhere
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:56 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Try one of those check cashing services. They will hold your check for a while before cashing it. They will charge you for it, but it's legal.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:57 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Thanks for the advice but my mom just gave me my mothers day card that contained some money so I will be in good shape.. I am so glad I don't have to even think of trying this anymore :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:06 PM on May. 8, 2011

• I'm glad you got the money from mother's day.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 9:02 PM on May. 8, 2011