No F's...are you kidding me!?

So it looks like there is a school system that wants to get rid of the grade F because it isn't positive for students. Instead they want to impliment an "H" for "hold". And then give the child (who FAILED) 3 months to try and make it up. omg. So what about the good kids that are doing right? If they implement this it's only fair to also give children who get B's , C's and D's a chance to raise thiers right. I think this is completely silly. When they grow up and hit the real world people fail. It hppens. Usually when you don't work hard enough. Isn't there something to be said for school not only grading addition and history but ALSO helping prep kids for the REAL world! What happenned to accountability? Would you want F's out of your childs schhol?

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 8:01 AM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Welcome to the New American Society where EVERYONE gets a Trophy... What happened to working HARD or you fail? This is insane. And your right, accountability is NOT happening.
    myame

Answer by myame at 8:06 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• That is a bit wild...like everyone making the team at try outs. It doesn't do the kids any favors in life to think that everything is fair and everybody is going to make accommodations for them. Can you imagine them taking their skill test for a job "You failed" "So I have 3 months after you hire me to bring it up right?"
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:07 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Im not shocked. I remember when my dd entered high school a few years ago and tried out for the dance team. I was informed everyone makes it even if they suck. The reason they did that (for all sports not just dance) was they didnt want any of the children to feel bad. I laughed we had girls on there that sucked so bad. They shouldnt have made it. Then of course theres recess they cant play half of what we used to bc they might get hurt. They also cant hug and kiss their bf/gfs in the hall bc thats sexual harassment. Its insane. This is why I am now homeschooling.

Answer by gemgem at 8:09 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Hmm it sounds like when a child tries out for a sporting event no one gets cut, I remember not being choosen for a sport because I wasn't good enough...oh well no skin off my back. I believe that F's should not be taken away. Why give them 3months to try and better their grade? Repeat the class and try again, sorry bucko. I'll be the first to admit my first F I EVER received was for my college chemistry class. I couldn't get that class for the life of me, so I changed my major. Problem solved. Schools are supppose to be preping kids for college or work. I'm sorry but if you get fired you don't get 3 months to try and make it better...
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 8:10 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Schools are supppose to be preping kids for college or work

YUP.. Think about it. When you goto work, if don't get the work done, and the company loses money.. You get FIRED.
    How does this prepare kids for the REAL WORLD.. Or is this a glimpse of what's to come in the new "changed" America?
    myame

Answer by myame at 8:14 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• yes i would want them out i tryed so hard in school and still made f's and i felt like no matter how hard i tryed i could not get them up and it killed my self confidence and all the other kids called me stupid and i would hand it all in and still it all kept coming back f's and stuyed nightly still f's the whole year of 2nd grade so i repeated the grade but i was never the same and i don't want my kids to go though that feeling an after that ,those feeling never went away and for a lot of ppl it does stay with you for a long time even though u get better and grades get better and if they did maybe suicied rates would drop in young ppl. ??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:14 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Anon: you make a good point but 25 years ago there were F's and tthe teen suicide rates were much lower.

I do have to say that I think it does more harm than good to remove the current grading system.
    Jessy0419

Answer by Jessy0419 at 8:21 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• That is just ridiculous

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:22 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Now are we talking about elementary or high school? I think it would be ok in elementary but def not in high shcool!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:33 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• TOTALLY RIDICULOUS!!!
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 8:38 AM on Dec. 5, 2008