Help with Constipation adult content

My DH had major back surgery a week ago tomorrow, they have him on A LOT of narcotics which we all know can constipate you. Our worry is that he hasnt really been able to go. He says he has the urge to go and when he sits down all he does is pass gas. His stomach hurts to touch now, he is sore to take breathes, he has no appetite what so ever to eat, and his stomach is distended. We have tried stool softeners as well as suppositories. Nothing seems to be working.

Is there ANY advice that can be given to help me try to help him. He basically is telling me he wants to avoid a hospital at all cost, but I think we are running out of options.

annabelle092810

Asked by annabelle092810 at 7:01 PM on May. 8, 2011 in Health

• Take him to the Er. This same thing happened to my husband for the same reason but you need the pros to get in there and clear him out before he gets a bowel obstruction, which can be serious. Don't mess around with it.
    blackisbetter

Answer by blackisbetter at 4:56 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Believe it or not, passing gas is a good sign, because it shows the intestines are still active. I would have him drink a quart jar full of warm saltwater first thing in the morning. It's kinda' yucky, but if he can keep it down, it will wash right through him and draw fluid into his intestines to soften the stuff in there. Of course, there is always prune juice, and definitely have him drinking that, and he should be drinking 3 quarts of water a day. Good luck!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 7:20 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Did you try Enemas? There are other products such as flaxseed, charcoal. GNC sells these products.
    Anonymous

• gas is good.... now what we have had to do......2 docolax and magnism citrate. the citrate is a clear drink it tasets ick and u have to drink it in 15 mins. u can drink 5 oz or all 10, this is what they make u do before u go in for a colon oscopie (sp) to clean out ur system. so my dh did the 2 docolax ( same time ) and then the drink in 12 mins. i didnt see him for 2 hours that day. happy to say we have 2 bathrooms. hope your dh feels better soon.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 8:25 PM on May. 8, 2011