How much per hour to make working worth it?

I am trying to find a FT job. If I return to work I will be putting out 200.00 per week in child care between my 1 y/o and my 8 y/o. What do you think is the minium I should settle for to make going back to work, worth putting the kids in daycare? I have my first interview today at noon.

dianna2402

Asked by dianna2402 at 8:11 AM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Money & Work

• Sometimes it's not worth it. Child care isn't the only expense of going back to work. Gas, car maintenance from driving way more than being a stay-at-home, lunch, work clothes....so many more expenses to working than just child care. And it all depends on what your job is and your motivation for going out there.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:34 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• If youre spending $200 a week in daycare, then I would say no less than $800 a week to make it worth your time. You could settle for $600 but that leaves you $400 a week, which is $1600 a mo......in my opinion, I wouldn't leave my kids for that amt of money. An $800 a week job, is about $22 per hour. In the end, its all up to you. Good luck on your interview.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:44 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• You're going to have to look at your budget and see how much you can afford to live on.
    Anonymous

• My rule was always that one weeks pay should be able to take care of at least one month's daycare bill. If the job did not pay that much, it was not worth it.
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 12:50 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Thanks you all for the answers/ I went on the interview and they are only offering 9-10 per hour. That would have me taking home about 160.00 per week after daycare. I spoke to DH and we agree that working 40 hours, with some travel that the job required is just not worth it. I am going to look PT after he gets home from work. That way we dont have to pay any daycare, and will probably bring in more money.
    dianna2402

Answer by dianna2402 at 6:50 AM on Dec. 6, 2008