What do contractions feel like?

I never had contractions. I had a planned C- section,because she was breached and didn't have enough amniotic fluid. To me , it was a breeze. Now on my second, I am terrified! I am afraid of pain!!! Tell me what it feels like.

emilysmom1966

Asked by emilysmom1966 at 8:07 PM on May. 8, 2011 in Pregnancy

• They feel like menstrual cramps but ten times worse.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 8:08 PM on May. 8, 2011

• It's different for everyone... but stressing isn't going to do you any good... it's going to happen whether you ready for it or not. you'll know when the time comes. But it's no picnic. GL
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 8:08 PM on May. 8, 2011

• What surprised me about them the first time I was in labor was how high up they come. As women, I think we're pretty much used to sharp pains in the lower part of our bellies. But I was completely taken by surprise - breathless as a matter of fact - when labor pains hit and they started right under my breasts and then went all the way down. No one had told me that and I wasn't prepared for it. At least I knew the second time around. No need to lie to you momma ~ labor pains hurt really bad and are generally very hard to get through. But the reward in the end is well worth it, that's for sure!
    Pink.Frosting

Answer by Pink.Frosting at 8:11 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Stress and fear will increase the pain... as will the position you are in during contractions. The best way is to relax and walk or sit on a birthing ball. This opens everything up and allows it all to move. Freaking out and too much stress causes your body to move into the fight or flight state- moving all blood to the center of your body, less blood in your uterus will create more painful contractions.

This is why ideas such as hypnobirthing and Lamaze work... you focus on keeping yourself calm, the blood stays where it should and lessens the pain quite a bit. :-) Relax. Tell yourself it will be fine- you will do fine. Talk yourself INTO it, rather than into the fear. Millions of women have done this, and YOU are AWESOME. :-)

Good luck!
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 8:19 PM on May. 8, 2011

• it feels like a period cramping mine always felt like my tummy was doing the wave and it got hard.
    SARAHBIGGS1987

Answer by SARAHBIGGS1987 at 8:26 PM on May. 8, 2011

• It feels very familiar. Like an extremely strong period.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:29 PM on May. 8, 2011

• The cramping is intense. I thought it felt like menstrual cramps or like diarrhea (tmi?) cramps, but from your tummy all the way into your feet.
    bridgetkang

Answer by bridgetkang at 9:00 PM on May. 8, 2011

• for everone they are diffrent, people whom menatlly and body prepare them selves for it , then it can go A LOT easier than those whom are not ready for it.....with my son i had EVERYTHING set up just like i wanted music, low lighting, a few people, and breathing the right way i had pains of course but NOTHING i could not handle with some breathing,walking,massage and mentally meditation
    leandrat

Answer by leandrat at 9:13 AM on May. 9, 2011

• cramping and it will feel like tightening in back or stomach area
    WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 10:15 AM on May. 9, 2011