Expectant Couples vs. Real Life

Now that you have a few years of child-rearing under your belt, do expectant mothers and fathers drive you crazy? You know, they have their ideas about how the baby is going to be, how their life is going to be, how everything is going to match, be perfect, stay clean, how they will lose the baby weight, and go back to work, or stay home, etc, whatever...

Do you want to tell them the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?

Do you hold back with tact? Or give it to them with both barrels?

dwmom2008

Asked by dwmom2008 at 8:20 PM on May. 8, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Reality sets in pretty quickly I know it did for me.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:31 PM on May. 8, 2011

• i hold back, because i remember being in that "dream-like" state when i hadn't a clue during my first pregnancy. i wouldn't have wanted someone to come and rain on my parade. i wasn't totally clueless, but motherhood isn't something you truly know about until you experience it yourself.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:22 PM on May. 8, 2011

• I figure that their life will be what they make of it, just like yours, or mine.

No need for me to crash their party. Who's to say that they won't actually make that their reality?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:23 PM on May. 8, 2011

• ij ust laugh at them. oh my house will always be clean, the kids will be perfect and never do wrong. when they see kids crying at dinner they think my kids will never do that. TRY AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!! kids are kids and your life wil never be what you think it will be. and the new moms who have the perfect new designer diaper bags and the perfect clothes that the baby is about to poop and pee all over, the bag they have to pack half thier house in when they leave "just in case" it all makes me laugh by baby number 3 your lucky if you arnt running into walmart to buy new diapers because you forgot diapers in your rush of running out of the house because pants were missing on one kid, the dog ate the others shoes and the baby is poopy, and your late. being a mom is great and keeps you on your toes but the one thing it isnt is predictable and controlable
    aschwarz06

Answer by aschwarz06 at 8:26 PM on May. 8, 2011

• I just smile and let them keep their illusions..... they will find out reality soon enough. Besides everyone is different and has their on beliefs/ideas on how they are going to raise their children, what their family life will be like, and who am I to tell them they are "wrong" or that their life won't go as they plan it will.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:49 PM on May. 8, 2011

• i hold back and laugh. Let em believe what they want they will learn. I like listening to 1st time mothers its cute to see how excited they are
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 8:33 PM on May. 8, 2011

• I smile nice and wish them well. If they ask for specific questions or for advice, then I give honest answers.

With a 9 and 6 year old at home now I'm sure my plans and thoughts about teenagers are laughable to those with actual teens. : ) Well, to be honest, I try not to have plans about things too far off. I have things I'd like do and see in an Utopian sort of way. But, I also know what I plan and what I experience may or may not be the same thing. I just focus on the moment and go with it.

ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:34 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I just let them think the happy thouts..in was in their shoes...everyone learns.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 10:05 AM on May. 10, 2011