Studying.

I want to start learning more about other religions. So i was wondering what are some good reads on your religion (please let me know what you are) im going to borders tomorrow thanks ladies!

whitenena

Asked by whitenena at 8:30 PM on May. 8, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• If you want to also include the atheist point of view (although it's not actually a "religion") in your studies, I would recommend the following two:
    The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins
    God Is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens

You might also want to pick up a book on comparative religion to start with.

Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 8:44 PM on May. 8, 2011

• The Kiss series is good. So is The Complete Idiot's Guide to........
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:46 PM on May. 8, 2011

• If you want books, look for Dummies or Idiots books for various religious groups. I'm reading the Idiots guide to Christianity now. It's rather well written.

I am Pagan.
    If you want books, go for the Dummies, Idiots or Everything Series for Paganism or Wicca/Witchcraft.
    That will give you the basics. If you want websites, check out PagansPath, Pagan/Wicca About.com or My Blog for lots of information on MY path.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:47 PM on May. 8, 2011

• yes i would like to include and atheist point of view. thank you i forgot to add that.
    whitenena

Comment by whitenena (original poster) at 10:03 PM on May. 8, 2011

• If you want to learn about Buddhism, I would suggest books by Thich Nhat Hanh, Pema Chodron, or the Dalai Lama. Thich Nhat Hanh has a couple books comparing Christianity and Buddhism as well (e.g. Living Buddha, Living Christ) that you might find interesting. The Heart of the Buddha's Teachings by Thich Nhat Hanh is very good imo. I'd also recommend reading the Dhammapada, which is a book of the Buddha's sayings. There are many different versions of it (even pocket size); I have a couple different versions. If you want to read about Taoism, I thought Stephen Mitchell's version of the Tao Te Ching was very good. I also have 365 Tao: Daily Meditations. I also recently bought a book called Standing in the Light: My Life as a Pantheist by Sharman Apt Russell, but I haven't read it yet. I thought it looked interesting, and it seemed to have good ratings. The Nag Hammadi Library is interesting to read as well.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:20 PM on May. 8, 2011

• "Permission to Believe" and "Permission to Receive" both by Lawrence Kellemen

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 11:04 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Oh, sorry! forgot to tell you I'm Jewish

Sharon
    momto2boys973

• Im Eclectic Wiccan Witch.

I would recommend Scott Cunninghams Wicca:A Guide for the Solitary Practictioner.
    I also practice some Hinduism and Id recommend Essentials of Hinduism by Swami Bhaskarananda. Both really good books.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:18 PM on May. 8, 2011

• The Qur'an
    The Idiots Guide to Islam
    Jesus Prophet of Islam
    The Veil and the Male Elite (a feminist Islamic point of view... yeah they DO exist)
    The heart of Islam: Enduring Values for Humanity
    -Cassandra-

Answer by -Cassandra- at 11:22 PM on May. 8, 2011

• I practice Hindu philosophy. The book I would recommend most is "Vedanta: A Simple Introduction." Other notable books are "The Complete Works of Swami Vivekananda" and "The Complete Idiots Guide to Eastern Philosophies". The last is a very good, all-encompassing introduction to Hinduism and similar beliefs.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 11:44 PM on May. 8, 2011