Stoping the bottle

ok so im ready to start weaning my daughter off her bottles. i put straight milk(yes i have been gradually giving her milk for a couple months prepareing her for this) in her sippy cup today (which she always drinks from..water) and she drank some then refused it. when i go to take away her bottles and she refuses to drink her milk out of the sippy cup...do i try try try then give in to the bottle or do i let her skip that meal? any advise or tips please!!!.......by the way she just turned a year on the 3rd

cnv13085

Asked by cnv13085 at 8:32 PM on May. 8, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had to pretty much just stop giving my son his bottles... but he was also eating alot of solid foods so I wasnt worried about the nutrition... it took less than a day before he gave in and started taking the sippy cup. and I was a silicone nipple sippy not a hard one... I don't know what you have but if you have a hard spout cup try a soft one it's an easier transition.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 8:38 PM on May. 8, 2011

• I put only water in the bottle. Try the Avent soft spout sippy cups, they were a nice transition from bottle to sippy. Just try not to get to emotional about it, be like, here's the bottle if you want. She'll get the picture. Remember, she is not going to be traumatized. Just be straightforward about it and so will she!
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 8:53 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Hmm , Try Giving her water in her sippy , then like each day , add a little milk , and less water , so after time , you'll work your way till it's just milk , Hope this helped(:
    des11987

Answer by des11987 at 9:00 PM on May. 8, 2011

• agree with des11987. i had a different scenario, I was going from breast-milk to formula and I slowly everyday increased the amount of formula and my son drinks formula now, and it only took about 3 days
    KiraStadnik

Answer by KiraStadnik at 11:05 PM on May. 8, 2011

• I went to a sippy except at bedtime at about 7 months with my twins, they did not and still do not (at 3 yrs) like milk. The Dr said that is fine as long as they are eating cheese, ice cream, yogurt and other things with calcium in it. I think you should just stick with water and juice and take the bottle away!
    younginx2

Answer by younginx2 at 1:13 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Just feed her cheese, yogurt, etc. Foods that have milk in them. She doesn't have to drink it now.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:39 PM on May. 8, 2011

• yes i do all soft spouted sippy cups and also the soft spouted straw cups
    cnv13085

Comment by cnv13085 (original poster) at 8:40 PM on May. 8, 2011

• all my kids have been off the bottle at or around 9 mo, sippy during the day and 1 bottle at bed time, your baby will drink the milk out of the sippy cup if she is truthfully thirsty, though it takes time for them to get used to it!
    courtneycra

Answer by courtneycra at 1:26 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Cold turkey the bottles. Only offer her the sippy with milk in it. She may refuse it for a few days but she will come around.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 12:46 PM on May. 10, 2011

• today we have done no bottles! whoohooo!
    cnv13085

Comment by cnv13085 (original poster) at 8:13 PM on May. 11, 2011