Childcare

Money is starting to get really tight around here and so I'm having to go back to work. Daycare is so expensive so we're trying to figure out the best thing to do! My DH said his mother can, but she's so lazy and doesn't watch our child at all! She'll let her watch tv the whole time and let her snack on whatever and not actual meals. How should I tell him HELL NO but nicely?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:32 PM on May. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• He's your husband, just say hell no. The price of daycare is really a problem though. Maybe you can watch other people's children? Or you MIL can watch him one or two times a week?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:36 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Um, don't insult his mother. It's his mother, this will come back to bite you in the you know where! Just say, you want what is best for the whole family. You can say that working with family is great, but what if there are problems, you don't want to have hard feelings, or you don't want her to see Grandma as the disciplinarian (even though she's not LOL), or you want to save your MIL for when you want a date night, make up some lame excuse! You can do that, right?? See if you qualify for a subsidized child care in your state, or try the local YMCA, I had my son with them, and they were reasonable. Or try another home daycare in your area. Good luck!
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 8:51 PM on May. 8, 2011

• My MIL watches my daughter. Does she let her watch too much TV? Sure. Does she let her have snacks? Sure. But she loves her and wouldn't let anything bad happen to her, gives her lots of hugs and kisses while she's watching TV and in between snacks :)

That said, if you don't feel comfortable, try some of the previous suggestions. Best of luck!
    zradiogirl

Answer by zradiogirl at 8:57 PM on May. 8, 2011

• You shouldn't ask your family to watch your child if you're not going to pay them a fair price... If you do, you get what you pay for...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 9:49 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Half day and full day daycare sometimes aren't full price and half price, but if you can find a good quality program that is half day mornings and have DH's mom pick your child up, take her home when she is tired and ready to nap after a day of organized activities it might be the best of both worlds.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 2:20 PM on May. 9, 2011