Do your kids have too much stuff?

My son has more toys that I ever had in my entire childhood! To be fair, since all of his grandparents are divorced, and we have great-grandparents and childless aunts and uncles involved (and he's a singleton) this is our fault obviously! We're really not indulgent parents, it's mostly books, Legos, and Playmobil that has taken over my life!

Am I the only one? If not, how do you deal with all of your kid's stuff? I have Ebayed and Craigslisted myself to death, had garage sales, rotated toys, and I give stuff away like crazy, especially books since they are so expensive!

We also do not even open birthday party gifts, his birthday is in December, we do a Toys for Tots drive IF people even want to bring something, this is up front on the invite. I am more into giving him experiences than stuff, we travel, do movies, bowling, museums, see attractions and visit relatives.

It's just like the stuff takes over our life, and I find myself in his room every month with a series of boxes, give away, donate, throw away! Ugh! I am so sick of this! I guess I should be grateful for the abundance, but I just feel like I am the Lone Stranger dealing with this and I need to know how other Moms are dealing with it.

Now, if you will excuse me, I have a pile of clothing to go through for Goodwill :)

dwmom2008

Asked by dwmom2008 at 8:34 PM on May. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• Our son was also an only grandchild/nephew for a long time and we had a similar problem, so we started asking relatives to contribute to a specific cause in honor of our son (our son has a health condition), or to get him amazon giftcards so that we could get him stuff he needed when he needed it or giftcards to specific activities he would enjoy such as one of our local museums, amusement parks or theaters, etc., stuff like that. While not everyone was cooperative, many were and it did cut way down on the amount of toys he received.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:41 PM on May. 8, 2011

• I am constantly paring down my kids stuff!
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 9:28 PM on May. 8, 2011

• But don't throw or give away his favorite toys. When he's an adult he may want some of his childhood belongings to pass on to his offspring!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 9:48 PM on May. 8, 2011

• On birthday invites my friend writes no gifts please I usually give gift cards still.
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 7:02 AM on May. 9, 2011

• My son is also a singleton and gets tons of stuff. There are still things that he got for Christmas that have yet to be opened. I am fine with the excess so long as he is not bratty, feels entitled and gets spoiled. Recently he went through quite a no new things falmon because he was becoming ungrateful, self centered and annoying. I don't stop people from buying things for him because he is their joy and seeing a little kid getting something new is their privilige--but I did ask them to lay off for a while when I thought a lesson needed to be learned. If there is something bigger that he wants like a bike I try to relay that message that money towards an item might be good. The boxes do kill me. It seems like I am always shredding some kind of cardboard.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 2:13 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Amazon giftcards, that's a great idea! And I do sound guilty don't I? Great answers ladies, thanks!
    dwmom2008

Comment by dwmom2008 (original poster) at 9:34 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Compared to the neighborhood kids my children have very little, but I have made it a point since before they were born that I wanted high quality wooden toys and not cheap plastic junk. Well that stuff is more expensive and while it took some time at first most of the family has accepted it and my children now get fewer things, but they get higher quality stuff as gifts. As for clothes well that is another story......
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:34 PM on May. 8, 2011