When you say no to your child why do they keep coming back asking the same question and won't quit until you yell at them or go and get the belt?

I know they are just testing me but over and over they ask me the same thing I want this and I want that especially if it's candy or cookies.
What do you do once you say NO! and the just keep on....ugh!
Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:37 PM on May. 8, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I take the cellphone and laptop away and every time she asks me the same question over and over again I add a day to the groundage. I don't use belts.
    Anonymous

• Yes, beat your child because they ask questions... that should do the trick.

Seriously? Why not be a tad more creative and turn it into a learning experience. They want something, give them jobs to earn it. Candy and cookies? No means no, have an apple. You can have fun with this and turn it around on them. Do the same- SHOW them how annoying it can be, but by no means should they be spanked with a belt because they bug you with questions.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 8:40 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Bill Cosby said it best "because their BRAINDEAD" :) I can't stand it I usually have to end up sending my son to his room so I can get a break.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 8:40 PM on May. 8, 2011

• They ask because they are obsessed and can't get it out of their heads . . . kids are especially obsessed about sugar, and they are not asking to bother you, they are asking because all they are thinking is SUGAR SUGAR SUGAR SUGAR. This is why alot of us don't have the stuff in our homes. (Adults are the same way with sugar, but we can just shove it in our mouths instead of asking).

So, get rid of the contraband :)

Oh, and I am hoping you are not serious about the belt . . .you know that is illegal.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 8:42 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Because they are testing you. Stop reacting. If this is really driving you crazy and you want to stop this behavior and you are COMMITTED to stopping it, sit them down and have a meetng and tell them there is a new Sheriff in town and no means no. Set up a reward system, and the one who doesn't ask twice gets a reward, no punishment except the second and further requests are completely ignored. Initially they will drive you nuts, but after a week, maybe less, they will see that you new NO is going to stick. Sign a contract if you have to. don't try to change more than one behavior at a time, so if you are already doing something else you may have to wait to try this. But, my guess is that in the past you have given in. You must stop this. They know that if they keep asking they get what they want. This intermittent reinforcement is why people play the lottery. it is powerful. So you need to change!
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 8:45 PM on May. 8, 2011

• They are probably convinced that you will say yes but when you get the belt, they know that no means no.
    sweetness61

Answer by sweetness61 at 8:47 PM on May. 8, 2011

• I would react with consequences faster, honestly. We are slowly getting to the point where I don't have to repeat myself all that often because they're "getting" that no means no...not maybe...not ask again...no.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:53 PM on May. 8, 2011

• "Mom, can I have ________?"
    "No"
    "Mom, can I have ________?"
    "What did I say the last time you asked me?"
    "No"
    "The answer hasn't changed, stop asking."
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:53 PM on May. 8, 2011

• About the third time I get asked I tell them to start jumping! They do about 5 jumping jacks and then I asked them if they are gonna quit asking. They say yes and I let them go.
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 8:56 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Clearly your children are masochists who enjoy a good belting. Just use a safeword.
    bishopblack

Answer by bishopblack at 8:59 PM on May. 8, 2011