How do I prepare my toddler for me going out of town?

Hello! I am standing up in a friend's wedding out of state. I will be gone Thursday-Sunday.

My husband will be home, and (because he's on call 24/7) my parents will be staying at our house as well. How do I prepare a 2 1/2 year old for my being gone? She's a total mama's girl and she'll be devastated that I am gone. How can I make this as easy as possible on her?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Bridget

bridgetkang

Asked by bridgetkang at 8:56 PM on May. 8, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Leave a picture of you with your husband so that she can look at it. I had a little album for my son when I went out of town for work. If you can, record yourself reading one of her favorite books so he can play it for her during your bedtime ritual, or skype them so you can read it yourself (email yourself the words ahead of time). I used to give my son a little bear to take care of "for me" when I was gone, and then make sure to bring him something (nothing big, she's 2) when I returned to show I was thinking of him. Also, you can leave a piece of clothing with your smell on it. My husband put a t-shirt over a pillow for my son to hold at night. I also wouldn't tell her untl the day before, and I would tell her when you wil be back, she can mark the days off on a calendar too, that's a good thing. Make sure you reassure her that you will be coming back!
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 9:01 PM on May. 8, 2011

• dwmom is right on. I was gone for six months when my dd was a little younger than that. I recorded myself reading stories, called a lot, and sent special packages. Maybe you could wrap up small presents (book, a sweet treat, or other small treats) (Check out Targets $1 area) Make a paper chain with the amount of days you will be gone. Give her lots of hugs and kisses and explain in simpe terms.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 9:09 PM on May. 8, 2011

• I was gone for 6 days at the end of March. My DD just thought that Mommy was at work the whole time. She did however think it was cool when they picked Me up from where the "airplanes live".
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:15 PM on May. 8, 2011

• BTW my DD is almost 3.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:16 PM on May. 8, 2011