Space Space Space Space Space!

Okay so about six weeks ago we moved to a much smaller apartment. We lived in the previous one for almost three years so we bought things to fit that place. Now that we are at a smaller size its hard to fit things in. I am looking for good tips on how to organize & make the best use of a small space.

1) We have gotten rid of so many things omg its unreal & I continue to get rid of things constantly
2) Have things stored away in organized stacked up totes with labels
3) Put bars in my daughters closet on the top & bottom of it to make extra hanging space plus added shelves in the sides of the closets
4) Took off all closet doors so they are not in the way
5) Put drawers under the bed for storage
6) We are building a deck off the back door next week so some things will go out on that
7) Also having some extra shelving put up here & there to store more things on/in

I am out of ideas! I dont have many linens at all so no need for space bags & all clothing is actively being worn period otherwise it goes out the door. We have hooks all over the place to hang bags, coats, clothing, belts, etc. I have used the top of my cupboards for books which actually looks pretty cool. I have something hung on the wall for any misc cards, photos, etc. Have a filing cabinet for all paperwork. Small plastic boxes everywhere with anything in them baking supplies, toys, craft supplies, you name it & its organized away into a stackable see through plastic box with a label! LOL not sure if there is anything else I can do but to simply keep getting rid of more things & packing things into totes for storage! But I am open to ideas & suggestions lol thanks =)

Mel30248

Asked by Mel30248 at 9:05 PM on May. 8, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Sounds like you have done everything you can. Maybe get things that can be doubled as storage. Ya know like the large foot stool in the living room that opens to a storage box and can be used as a coffee table if needed. Those are great ! Maybe decorate with a couple boxes and chests ( if that goes with your decor ) and stick stuff in them too.
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 9:11 AM on May. 9, 2011

• It's hard to say without any pictures. Those big square shelves from IKEA with the baskets in them are a HUGE lifesaver for me. Stores a ton and looks great :)
    JasonsMom2007

Answer by JasonsMom2007 at 9:09 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Sounds like it's time to get rid of some furniture then...
    JasonsMom2007

Answer by JasonsMom2007 at 9:15 PM on May. 8, 2011

• good luck. we live in small 3 bedroom apartment we have crates and boxes thats are organized but still very little room. usually have to get rid of most stuff
    kittylover333

Answer by kittylover333 at 10:32 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Store stuff behind your furniture.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 12:22 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Do you have the over the door organizers to store shoes, accessories and such? I think that other than that you have come up with all of my ideas. If I think of anything else I'll let you know...
    karischub

Answer by karischub at 9:12 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Thanks ladies! Those big shelves are really nice but I seriously have nowhere to put one the furniture we have to have already occupies all our space plus we dont have an IKEA I live in the boon docks of mid maine lol I will take a look at those over the door organizers but like I said we took our doors off of the closets & on the back of all other doors are hooks lol
    Mel30248

Comment by Mel30248 (original poster) at 9:14 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Hm well we dont have anything we dont need or use. We already got rid of our kitchen table & had a bar built in (my dad owns the place), breadrack is gone, computer desk gone, went from a king bed to a queen, got rid of a buerue (sp), kids ball pit is gone, kids tent is gone, took out dd's trundle on her bed for drawers.... all that is left is dd's bed, our bed, one buerue, movie shelf, two tv's, couch, chair, rocking chair, stools, book shelf for dd, toy/game shelf for dd, train table lol I think we really have no more options honestly! I have pretty much donated everything that didnt mean anything to us & am down to things that are passed down in the family or things that we do use hahaha I'm just outta ideas & that may be bc there are no more ideas!
    Mel30248

Comment by Mel30248 (original poster) at 9:21 PM on May. 8, 2011

• I have no idea, but wanted to say GO YOU! It can be pretty awesome to purge all that stuff.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 6:59 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Yard sale!
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 7:39 AM on May. 9, 2011