What would you do/say if this happened to your child?

I was at a public event and my son was ahead of me. He walks over to a train table where several other kids were playing. I walk up seconds later and hear someone say to their husband "Thomas the train was just jacked". I didn't know who they were talking about at first. Then the wife says to husband "he didn't do it to be mean". Then the husband turns to my son in a nasty voice and says "did you just take that train from her?" I would like to know how other people out there would handle this scenario. I am just curious if I did the right thing or not. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:06 PM on May. 8, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Um, you didn't really say how you handled it...
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 9:07 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Well, did your son take it?
    If my son took something from someone and I wasn't right there, I sure as hell hope someone would call him on his appalling behavior. It really does take a village to raise a child.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:08 PM on May. 8, 2011

• I am not sure what I'd say, but I would go ask your son "did you take the train?" and "we like to share,so maybe if the girl is nice, she will give you a turn" and then I'd give the dad a nasty look.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 9:08 PM on May. 8, 2011

• In addition, I would have scolded my son and thanked the man for pointing out my child's poor behavior and then I'd make my son apologize and take him away from the table for a bit so he understood he was wrong.
    layh41407

• i would've found out if my child took it or not. if she did, id remind her about sharing and taking turns. i would've silently wondered why a grown man would have his balls twisted over 3-4 year olds stealing toys from eachother.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:10 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Well I basically told the guy that he had no right to talk to my son that way and that if there was a problem he could tell me and i would handle it. i have no problem with someone calling out my child if i didn't catch something he did. The way he was talkin to him was my problem. i do not let my child take toys, etc. but i also dont let people talk nasty to him. i was pretty pissed at the guy. i honestly think the guy would have taken it a step further had i not said anything to him.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:10 PM on May. 8, 2011

• I would ask if my son took it from her and if he did I would make him give it back and apologize. And I would apologize to the parents.
    Then if there was not an available train I would ask the little girl if she would please share a train with him"
    Despite the dad's tone teaching my kids the right way to do things is WAY more important to me than worrying about a tone of voice.
    JasonsMom2007

Answer by JasonsMom2007 at 9:11 PM on May. 8, 2011

• How did you handle it??
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:12 PM on May. 8, 2011

• thank you tmn786. i thought the same thing. he acted like he owned the place. i told him this is redic. it isn't this serious! lol and the little girl wasn't upset at all. its the age, this happens all the time. i wished i had asked him if his perfect lil angel ever showed any toddler type behavior. he was such a dork!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:12 PM on May. 8, 2011

• oh and let me add after i told the guy he shouldnt do that i did tell my son that we dont take the toys from others, gave the train back and we left the table.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:14 PM on May. 8, 2011