How would you feel about this/do about this?

this is a 'just wondering' type question. I mean, it stems from a previous relationship I had, but i'm NOT in that type of relationship anymore.

Anyways, so lets say you and your BF had no ties together; no kids, no finances, etc. You dont live together, but have been together for a while (lets say 2-3 years-- enough to know the person, but to still learn about them).

You find out that your BF did mushrooms (the drug) just recently. it was just a one time thing- to see what it was like, to get to have that experience and he'd never do it again.

Would you stay with him--> say that he's young, he needs to experience life, etc.

Would you leave him--> if he does one drug, he can do another drug just for the 'experience' which can lead to harder drugs?

(For my case, BD did cocaine for the experience, then moved on to crack. He was on heroin, but went to rehab and not sure if he did drugs after he escaped from rehab... but thats what this question is based on)

Shy_Dia

Asked by Shy_Dia at 9:51 PM on May. 8, 2011 in Relationships

• If I was in a relationship with someone and we did not share anything important together like a child(ren) and he decided he wanted to experiment with a drug just to see what it was like, I would have to end the relationship and I do not care if we are young or old, its not something I want in my life so I would no longer need the person around. I have seen family members who just wanted to see what a drug was like, and kept trying to find the one that made them feel just right...they have since changed but to get to where they are now, too much of their lives was wasted, experimenting and exploring things of no value.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:57 PM on May. 8, 2011

• For me, if everything else was really good, I'd not break up over that (not a deal breaker) I did some experimenting when I was younger and had zero desire to go onto harder drugs - so it doesn't always lead down that path...HOWEVER if it did start to head down that path, then it'd be a deal breaker. 1 time was an experiment, 2 or more then we need to seriously consider whether this relationship is right for both of us.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 9:57 PM on May. 8, 2011

• I've used them myself, so yes, it'd be fine with me. There's no such thing as a gateway drug. It's either in a person to use hard drugs, or it isn't.
    bishopblack

Answer by bishopblack at 10:03 PM on May. 8, 2011

• okay, say it was before my kids.. I would probably had tried to make sure he didn't do drugs again and sought help if he did.

now that I have kids.... NO WAY!! He'd be out that door after the shrooms. I'm NOT loosing my kids over some guy I'm dating want to experiment.. that's what you do when you are young and immature, and haven't had a chance to grow up and be responsible yet.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:18 PM on May. 8, 2011

• xxhazeldovexx are you aware that mushrooms are a viable treatment for migraine and cluster headaches?
    bishopblack

Answer by bishopblack at 10:20 PM on May. 8, 2011

• I do agree though.. not in all cases do people move on to harder drugs.. or do they become addicted from trying once. HOWEVER, like I said, I have kids now, and it's not something I want in my life anymore. That would include alcoholism as well (even though that's not illegal).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:21 PM on May. 8, 2011

• My husband was on meth for a while when he was younger, he quit on his own without any help. He smoked pot for a long time, and only sorta quit when I met him. He and I both smoked pot every now and then, but not as often as we use to when we were younger. Now that I'm pregnant, he doesn't smoke at all and neither do..obviously. I wouldn't be mad at my husband if he went and tried mushrooms, but my husbands a different kind of person, everyones different. I know my husband isn't going to get addicted to something, and I know he can quit something on his own. Its hard to tell, but if you trust your BF on his word that he only did mushrooms once, then I'd say don't be mad or anything, but if you believe he'll fall back into drugs, then say something.
    monstersmommy20

Answer by monstersmommy20 at 10:26 PM on May. 8, 2011

• are you aware that mushrooms are a viable treatment for migraine and cluster headaches?

OMG! Are they really? i should try it- lol jk jk... but i do need a way to get rid of my migraines and cluster headaches. they can go from weeks to MONTHS. gah!

kudos to your DH, montersmommy! i dont think i've ever met anyone who quit meth without help! its not my BF though-- exBF who i left. he was also all about our DS smoking weed when he turns 8 and drinking when he's 12-- so he "knows what he can handle when his friends start pressuring him".... yea- definitely glad he's outta our life!
    Shy_Dia

Comment by Shy_Dia (original poster) at 10:37 PM on May. 8, 2011

• If he swears that it was a one time thing and never again I would give him the benefit of doubt and stay with him. But I would also give him a warning and let him know that if he 'experiments' with anything else or uses any more drugs it is over!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:38 PM on May. 8, 2011

• If it was truly a 1 time thing then don't just up and leave.
    Damiens_mom

Answer by Damiens_mom at 11:45 PM on May. 8, 2011