Is it true that family members with Breast Cancers mean your risk is increased?

My Mothers aunt has it now my mothers sister. So i have heard this increases your risk but i was just curious if anyone has been told for sure.

harris4

Asked by harris4 at 10:28 PM on May. 8, 2011 in Health

• yes you definately have a higher risk for breast cancer. It runs in both sides of my family. I have a great aunt who was diagnosed in the 1920's when it was a mandatory masectomy. and in 1997 my mother died of it.
    I recently went through a scare when I found a lump. Thankfully after a mammogram and a breast MRI all came back normal. They still don't know what the lump I found is. they are thinking plugged duct.
    Wyndi

Answer by Wyndi at 11:00 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Yes, definitely. You should be doing your monthly self exams (best right after your period), and ask your doc about when they want you to start having mammograms. They may want you to start early if your mom was young, or if your aunt is. Make sure you take care of yourself- avoid BPA plastics, maintain a healthy weight, and exercise!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:32 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Absolutely... I happen to know that on my mom's side of the family there is the "gene" for bc (my cuz got checked after she got cancer very young and several members have also been checked.
    So yes... if its shown up several times esp. so closely you are at highter risk
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 10:41 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Darn ok thanks ladies!
    harris4

Comment by harris4 (original poster) at 10:41 PM on May. 8, 2011

• as far as i know, yes.
    KiraStadnik

Answer by KiraStadnik at 10:48 PM on May. 8, 2011

• As far as I've read and heard, yes it does. I'm sorry to hear about your relatives' cancer.
    ElijahsMom211

Answer by ElijahsMom211 at 1:13 AM on May. 9, 2011