Has your child or anyone you know been diagnosed with intestinal malabsorption?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:29 PM on May. 8, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Celiac disease is a very real illness, but is currently being over diagnosed IMHO I personally know 3 people who were diagnosed with it inaccurately, and it's a tough diet to follow if you don't have to. But if it's for real, that is the only treatment.

Answer by elasmimi 42 minutes ago

--------------------------------
    That is interesting! Usually a blood test will prove that someome has Celiacs disease. ANd also a Colonoscopy.
    How did they get a false diagnosis? I am curious!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 3:42 PM on May. 10, 2011

• My oldest daughter has CELIACS disease, a malabsorption disease. Is that what you mean? She was diagnosed with it when she was 37 years old. But she had many symptoms all her life and nobody figured out what it was.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:45 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Myself and my two sons (one at 2yrs and one at 4yrs) have all been diagnosed with Celiac and/or gluten intolerance.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:47 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Thank you for all the responses.
    Could you comment on what kind of medication is used to treat the condition? Thanks again.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:07 PM on May. 8, 2011

• There is NO medication. Your diet has to be designed specifically to avoid GLUTEN. Gluten is in flour....breads,crackers,etc. and it is an ingredient in many foods. Here are LINKS:

http://www.celiaccentral.org/Celiac-Disease/21/?gclid=CK3_wqn_2agCFUPf4AodsBBwhg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malabsorption

minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:08 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Hasn't your child's Doctor told you anything about it? Wow.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:31 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Do you mean leaky gut syndrome? Yes, my DS had it. Is candida (yeast) overgrowth a problem too? Or are you specifically referring to gluten sensitivities and/or celiac disease? There is no medicine. You have to avoid the problematic food(s).

If the malabsorption is NOT due to a food sensitivity, you can try supplementing with coconut oil since it helps tremendously w/absorption issues. You also have to work on healing the gut.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:11 AM on May. 9, 2011

• No, I haven't/don't.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 7:36 AM on May. 9, 2011

• I have never heard of that. Thanks for the info!
    daerca574

Answer by daerca574 at 1:32 PM on May. 9, 2011

• no, but if it's Celiac's I know there is no medication, just diet modification
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 2:02 PM on May. 9, 2011