Would you be ok with your husband telling you that Mother's day is between you and the kids and pointing out to you that you aren't "his" mother?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:34 PM on May. 8, 2011 in Relationships

• Well it is true. That being said it really depends on the age of the child. Mine are old enough now to do something special for me and it means much more then anything from him. A few years ago though they were too young to do anything so he did. I have a good man though who appreciates the fact that I am not his mother, but I am the mother of his children.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:38 PM on May. 8, 2011

• well its kind of dumb. mothers day is not just to celebrate "your" mother, but all mothers..
    KiraStadnik

Answer by KiraStadnik at 10:50 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Got that speech last year when is mom flipped out that he was taking me out to breakfast and honoring me when I'm not his mother. Can't I spend mothers day with my family and especially the person that helped me become a mom. I think that the men should not only honor their mothers but us as well. BTW children don't know and understand the concept of mothers day until they hit kindergarten. Is it fair to make us wait 5-6years to celebrate something that we do well.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:39 PM on May. 8, 2011

• I have heard that before. It didn't bother me. The kiddies have always done something nice for me. Daddy took them to the store for cards,etc. when they were old enough to know what Mothers Day meant.
    Yes---I was not my DH's Mother. :-)
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:42 PM on May. 8, 2011

• DH spoiled me today. But in little ways to honor me. He picked me up some flowers, had the kids draw pictures for me, and made the meals all day. I would be very angry w/ him if he had said what your husband did. 

Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 10:49 PM on May. 8, 2011

• my husband said the same thing to me when my kids was little, now they are alittle older so they make me cards or ask him to take them to get something, but it did hurt my feelings, i am the mother of his kids!!! when i remind him of that he said ur not the only mother of my kid!! he has an older daughter!! that made me just plain mad!!! i still think about that!!!!
    carol00

Answer by carol00 at 10:59 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Nope Dh would never do that. He thanks me for being the mother of his child(ren) by giving me a gift and helping DD pick out something.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:20 PM on May. 8, 2011

• tell him the same thing on fathers day Plan a day for yourself and let him be a father on father's day.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 11:28 PM on May. 8, 2011

• I would be okay with it, as long as he helped our kids make something (they are 1, 2, and 3. too little to do it on their own. lol). He did nothing for his mother this year. I had to get the card and make him sign it, then I had to mail it out. He didn't get her flowers or anything. I felt bad (but at the same time, I get why. Their relationship hasn't been good lately).
    Anonymous

• I would point out to him that he's right, it is between me and our kids, because I am THEIR mother, and HE is their FATHER - and that part of being a father is to help HIS children acknowledge their mother on Mother's Day - just as it's your job to help make sure they acknowledge HIM on Father's Day.

My husband honors me on Mother's Day, because I'm the mother of his children, and he loves all 3 of us very much. He also honors his mother, because she's his mom. Just as I honor him on Father's Day. Now, he shouldn't be shoving her aside on that day to make it all about her, but then again, he shouldn't be shoving you aside, either....
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:03 AM on May. 9, 2011