Saint Judas?

I was just watching a documentary about Judas Iscariot and it was talking about how "certain sects" of Christianity consider Judas to be a Saint and believe he was the "best" of the apostles because he willingly took on the damnation of handing Jesus over, even though he knew of his divinity.

So I'm wondering what "sects" believe this? And where can I find more information on these beliefs?

One of my biggest issues with the story of Jesus' betrayal and death was always that I saw Judas as the good guy while most stories showed him as some evil person. To me though, he had to do what he did or you couldn't have had the outcome you had, which is supposed to be the entire point... So I'm curious to know more about this line of beliefs.

I'm gonna watch the documentary again, but I figured I'd ask here too...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:11 PM on May. 8, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• What was the name of the documentary? It sounds interesting.
    bishopblack

Answer by bishopblack at 11:16 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Interesting - I have never heard of this. I don't think the idea is biblical, since Jesus spoke of the one who would betray Him and that it would have been better if he had never been born. That makes me think he did not end up in heaven. Most Christians believe that Judas could have been forgiven if he had repented and accepted the Lord's forgiveness, but that he didn't. Instead, in despair, he killed himself, maybe thinking that what he had done was beyond the Lord's mercy. Most of us also believe the God brings good out of all things, but that doesn't change the fact that some things in themselves are not good. He knows all things before they come to pass. Did that make sense?

If you find out which sects of Christianity see Judas as a Saint, I would be curious to read it.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:16 PM on May. 8, 2011

• What documentary is it? Sounds interesting. I've heard something like that before too, but I'm not really sure other than knowing that Gnostic Christians viewed Judas differently--probably as more enlightened than some others. Maybe it was Coptic Christians who saw him as a saint? I'm not really sure, but I thought the Gospel of Judas was in the Coptic language, so maybe it was them.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:26 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Hmm...news to me. Shows how much I know though--I've never heard of a Coptic Christian either. lol
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 11:36 PM on May. 8, 2011

• I can't think for you
    You'll have to decide
    Whether Judas Iscariot
    Had God on his side.
    -Bob Dylan

I think Judas was a close friend and follower to Jesus.  I wouldn't want my life summed up in my lowest moment. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:04 AM on May. 9, 2011

• It's National Geographic's "The Gospel of Judas"

Really worth watching - at least once.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 7:54 AM on May. 9, 2011

• I personally question whether Judas actually existed, or at least whether the betrayal really happened the way we're told it did, and I reject the notion that Jesus "had" to die. I have heard there are texts stating Jesus TOLD him to "betray" him, and if so I don't believe we can hold Judas accountable for it. I also wonder, if people who DO believe Jesus was "meant" to die, how they can blame Judas for something that would appear to be pre-ordained....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:36 AM on May. 9, 2011

• This is the first I have heard of him being considered a Saint but then again the Catholic Church often deems new Saint's all the time.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 3:53 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Only the Gnostics believe that he was a saint (and wrote a gospel)
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 1:38 PM on May. 10, 2011