What medicine should we use for DS?

I used Tylenol before for my DS, but with all the recalls, I don´t know what to get as replacements... I used tylenol for cough and pain relief, and now I don´t know what to use for that.. Any suggestions.. We buy in bulk so that we don´t run out, so anything that has worked for your LO in place of Tylenol, please share!

Luisa621

Asked by Luisa621 at 11:31 PM on May. 8, 2011 in Health

• Store brands are just as good you know when it says compared to... We use Walgreens, CVSPharmacy and Equate from Walmart
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 11:37 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Are you over using this. Why would you need to buy in bulk? How many are there in your family?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 11:54 PM on May. 8, 2011

• For colds, if you're open to homeopathic remedies, there's Chestal and Occilicoccinum, both of which work pretty well. Honey can soothe a sore throat for kids over age 1 (never before because of botulism risks), just warm up some water or chamomile tea and put some honey in it. Nothing is "recall-proof" if you can buy it, ultimately. You can use steam to break up mucus, too- run the hot shower in a closed up bathroom and sit with your LO. I hope that helps!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:02 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Also, Tylenol won't help calm a cough. Robitussin is better for that if he's over 2. It will help if he has a headache associated with the coughing, though.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:03 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Not over using it.. We live in another country, so when I come to the states I buy everything in bulk because I probably won´t buy it again for at least 8 months..
    Luisa621

Comment by Luisa621 (original poster) at 12:21 AM on May. 9, 2011

• In place of Tylenol we tend to use Motrin. I'm quite partial to Kirkland brand (Costco). They're practically the same medicine, just with a different name. It truly depends on what's wrong with the LO. I tend to go medicine free with my kids unless they're in pain (from teething or such).
    ElijahsMom211

Answer by ElijahsMom211 at 1:12 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Musicpisces, cough medicine has been proven again and again to do absolutely nothing for a cough.

The only medicines I keep on hand for my little ones and myself are vitamins, honey, tea, ginger, spices, a neti pot, etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:05 AM on May. 9, 2011