How do you break disappointing news to a 7 year old?

My son plays baseball, and in addition to his regular team, he tried out for a tournament team this year. Unfortunately, he didn't make the team (and he's a really good player, but just fell short this year). I am heart broken for him, and I'm not sure how to break the news. I'm looking for any advice on how to handle this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 PM on May. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• just be honest with him, tell him why and how he can improve. people sugar coat things like this so much these days that they won't be able to handle disapointments later...
    starlight1968

Answer by starlight1968 at 11:35 PM on May. 8, 2011

• I would take him out for ice cream or something sit him down and tell him what a wonderful player he is. Then just be honest and tell him this year he didn't make the team but now he has all year to practice and you are so proud of him. I hope he is ok.
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 11:37 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Just tell him they can only accept x amount of players and they have enough. He can try next year.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:16 AM on May. 9, 2011