What would you do it this situation in regard to visiting family for holidays...

My mom had a hissy yesterday when I told her we were not coming up the day after Christmas this year since myself and my siblings and my Mom, stepdad and dad are going to go to the beach and celebrate Christmas down there New Years week. She literally told me that she was not putting up decorations now because I was not coming up with my family. I don't understand this considering I am going to see her the weekend after Christmas just not at her house. I mean I spent the WHOLE FREAKING week of Thanksgiving up at her house. Would you give in and go up to her house for one day just to make the peace or stand your ground? I am just curious. If you have any questions feel free to ask I will check on the answers through the day.

my4kids274

Asked by my4kids274 at 9:06 AM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Holidays

• Do what you want, don't give into her hissy!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I woulnt give in. She is def overreacting and needs to let it go. If you spent all of Thanksgiving with her then she should realize that there needs to be some compromise. And like you said, you're gonna see her the week after anyway! Dont let her get to you. She'll get over it! Enjoy the beach! :)
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 9:12 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I would not let her bully me into doing something i didn't want to do I don't care if she is my mom If I have plans and she is going to see me soon anyway that is. Hope it helps
    hope3145

Answer by hope3145 at 9:14 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I think I would stick to my plans, even if you were to go now it probably wouldn't be very fun since you are there out of obligation. Tell her you and your family are looking forward to the celebration the weekend following.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 9:30 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• First, cool that your dad and step dad get together to make the holidays good for everyone! But no, she's being silly and having a fit. She will get over it.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:58 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• No don't let her bully you. My gma did this to me for years. Throws fits when I say no etc..Finally I had to tell her not to come up since she was sick ( she visits here a few times a month since they go to the wineries) anyway she threw a huge fit that I did not want her around my kids and I ended up blowing up over all the years of her bullying me...so don't let it get to that stage. Now we are not talking because I feel like I need a break.
    Anonymous

• Cont...what I meant was don't let it get to the stage of things escalating. Just tell her no now and put your foot down. Hope that helps. I let my gma get away with it too long is why.
    Anonymous

• It would depend. Is going to see her every year the day after Christmas something you always do? If so then I'd go. It's not fair to her just to dump a change of plans on her like that. I'd be upset too. But if not then I'd talk to her and try to work it out. Maybe you and your family are the only thing she was looking forward to for Christmas.

Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 12:26 PM on Dec. 6, 2008