My husband just took my oldest to ER for allergic reaction to peanuts. Have you experienced this before?

We were at the beach all day, mostly ate food packed from home. 5 minutes before we were ready to leave, we broke down and got fries. 4 hours later, my 3 year old is having an allergic reaction (we think maybe they used peanut oil to fry the fries...). Her skin turned bright red and has large bumps all over from her thighs all the way up to her scalp! She's sniffling, breathing seems to be a shallow. My husband just left to take her to the ER. We gave her benedryl before she left. I am staying behind with the baby, just waiting anxiously for any news. Any advise to calm my nerves?

Olivia4116

Asked by Olivia4116 at 12:04 AM on May. 9, 2011 in Health

• Aw, mama, don't beat yourself up! They'll give her some epi and get things back on track. She'll be okay!! They may give you some epi pens in case this happens again, too. She'll he back and home safe before you know it. It is AMAZING how many foods have allergens in them. Hugs!! She'll be fine! :)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:06 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Your little gal will be A OK ! I am allergic to peanuts. They have lots of signs all over the place now "THIS MAY CONTAIN PEANUTS!" You will be able to spot a peanut from a mile away ! :)
    Gnomes

Answer by Gnomes at 12:19 AM on May. 9, 2011

• she should be fine but if you ever fly, you have to tell them about it so they will not hand out peanuts on the flight.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 12:33 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Most airlines don't hand out peanuts anymore for that exact reason. I'd also make sure you know that's what it was, or else she could have a reaction again.

I wouldn't worry too much, since she was still breathing on her own and concious. It's scary, but easy to deal with once you get it down.
    Uhura

Answer by Uhura at 1:31 AM on May. 9, 2011

• :hugs: She'll be okay mama. There's no way to know that they fried the fries in peanut oil and kids are resilient. I'm sure the drs will get her feeling better by the end of the night.
    ElijahsMom211

Answer by ElijahsMom211 at 1:38 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Thanks everyone. You've all been so wonderful. My little girl got home from the ER 5am this morning and everything is ok now. Thank you!
    Olivia4116

Comment by Olivia4116 (original poster) at 10:04 PM on May. 9, 2011