Needs advice sorry kinda long

So since last summer my schedule at wrk has been 8:30-3:30. It use to be 10:30-5:30-6:30 on fridays but my kids changed schools and they get out 1:55pm. My aunt picks them up but she has class at 6:00 so I get off at 3:30 to get home in time so she wont miss or be late for her class.
So now my manager has left and my assistant manager is running things until my new manager comes nxt month. He has been trying to get me to wrk till 6:30 on fridays since march but I cant. My husband works till 9:30pm on fridays so I would have no one else to pick up my little ones from my aunts. So this manager who has been watching over my branch and the assistant manager pulls me in the office and tells me basically because im part time Im here to fill in for the full time employees so for a part time associate to say they cant close is unacceptable. So I have a choice to either work at a saturday branch but its mandatory to wrk every saturday(its hard enough to find baby sitters on weekends so I dont want to commit to that) or I figure out my fridays and I have 30days or I'll loose my job. He said this is why he dont hire ppl with special circumstances because of reasons like this.
Im nervous I may loose my job b/c I have no one else to help us out.
My husband told me to contact HR and tell them the situation. See if I can be switch to another branch that can wrk with my schedule. Im upset because none of these ppl seem to have any respect for my schedule. I wrk with all men and none of these assholes have children. Except for one guy and the assistant manager suggested he quit his job so he can work more hrs...smh
What do you think I should do?

kyheavensmom

Asked by kyheavensmom at 12:25 AM on May. 9, 2011 in Money & Work

• When i was single I was always mad at people with kids getting special treatment but now it's the reason why I am afraid to go back to work. I have absolutely no help with my son, not even an aunt, no one. So I don't know how I'd work it out once my son goes to school. Don't let them make you lose your job. you definitely need to take the issue higher up and tell them you have kids and school and you try to be flexible but they are not being understanding because they don't have kids. Hopefully you can find something that will work out. Having little ones is so hard and I don't even know how you working moms do it. Good luck!
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 12:30 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Thank u. I posted this on here cause I kinda figure other moms would understand. Yea I think im def. Going to take it to HR. I feel like I do alot for this company including coming in on my days off so atleast they can do is wrk with me. Man I miss my old manager but im not going to worry. Whatever happens im claiming it'll wrk in my favor
    kyheavensmom

Comment by kyheavensmom (original poster) at 12:35 AM on May. 9, 2011

• I would have to question the fact that the manager that is no longer there was willing to work with you in order to get your kids since you are a single mother. Why can't this manager do that? I think he is sexist....I would go to the labor board if necessary and tell them you feel that you are being discriminated against, after you go over some heads. Good Luck!
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:36 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Thank u. We have a district manager but im just going to go to hr. I really dont care what district they send me too aa long as I can keep my same schedule. Thank u ladies for being understanding cause I felt so alone
    kyheavensmom

Comment by kyheavensmom (original poster) at 8:21 AM on May. 9, 2011

• IMO, work is work, and the company has requirements to fulfull. It's great that they worked with you in the past, but they seem to not be able to do that into the future. That is not unreasonable. If your Aunt babysits during the week, can't she do a Saturday if need be?
    I think making special scheduling because you don't have child care is discrimination, against everyone else. I understand it's hard, but its your hardship, not your employeers.

Jobs can be pretty hard to find nowadays.
    Anonymous

• Talk with HR and see if they can help you with another situation. The fact that none of these fellows have kids suggests they'll never see reason.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 2:31 PM on May. 9, 2011