Relapse

I am a recovering gambling addict. I relapsed tonight huge. I feel so bad now, I hate myself and don't know what to do. Haven't done this in 9 months. Have you ever relapsed in anything and what was the result?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on May. 9, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I too have that problem and relapsed. I also am a compulsive eater and relapse.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on May. 9, 2011

• oh yeah , weight gain , other addictions
    the result was self hatred
    sometimes it has helped me to accept who i am and got me back on track cause i am so tired of being sick and tired , i have learned much and on some things i can stop myself solely cause i just dont want to go there anymore , but its always replaced with some thing i obcess over.
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 12:34 AM on May. 9, 2011

• ive relapsed I just started over and got a support group knowing that I have a problem that I didnt get over night so it wont go away over night. If I want to over come I have to keep trying til I get it right. Good luck never give up the good fight.
    cakes258

Answer by cakes258 at 12:36 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Sometimes we can't just help ourselves. Just promise yourself that starting tomorrow that you will get yourself back on track.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:29 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Everyone's given you some great advice, OP. If 12 step programs help you, go to one. If you're of a faith that meets on a regular basis, attend those meetings. If you're of a faith that offers counseling to the congregation, take advantage of that. I, personally, don't think that anyone should have too quit their addictions cold turkey, but some people need that I guess. My mother overcame her drug and alcohol addictions by quitting completely and going to NA and AA, but she's recently started "using" again. Only, I'm not worried about her this time, because she's doing what she should have done from the beginning: all things in moderation. If you can get to a place where gambling sometimes is possible without overdoing it, that's great. But if you can't, still don't beat yourself up when you occasionally relapse. *hugs*
    AmourSpork

Answer by AmourSpork at 3:30 AM on May. 9, 2011

• I'm a cutter, and I've gone years without cutting, and then stress made me have a relapse. It's never easy when it happens, but all I can do is forgive myself for slipping up, and focus on my mental health so that it doesn't happen again. If it does, I start over again.
    bishopblack

Answer by bishopblack at 3:43 AM on May. 9, 2011