Cutting calories or carbs

which works better for losing weight?

amberpatterson

Asked by amberpatterson at 12:30 AM on May. 9, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• cutting carbs , so low carb
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 12:36 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Depends on how many calories you are consuming. You really need to do both, and add exercise!! Burn more calories then you consume, and you loose weight - so it's best that the calories you do eat are healthy ones!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:50 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Really, I'm many cases once people calculate their BMR and the calories they need to lose weight they find they aren't eating enough to lose weight. Your body needs a certain amount of calories from all areas: carbs, fats, proteins....you need a healthy balance. As a diabetic I eat roughly 100-120 grams of carbs a day. Seriously, aim for a eating plan with healthy whole grains, paired with lean proteins, plenty of veggies, healthy fats like those in olive oil, avacados & nuts, fruit and plenty of water. Eat within your calorie range & you will lose weight.

Google "BMR Calculator" find what calories you burn in a day doing nothing based on your age, sex, height & weight. Then you'll see how to multiply that by your activity level to see your daily calorie needs, subtract roughly 500 from that & that's what you should be eating in a day. Burn 500 more calories a day than you eat & you lose a pound a week!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 8:28 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Carbs I'd say, but that doesn't mean you should eat things like chocolate lol
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 10:22 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Everyone is different, some react better to low carbs but some react better to low calories. You may have to experiment. However, everyone benefits from not eating processed foods and excess sugar and excess fat.
    lore_tex

Answer by lore_tex at 12:29 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Sorry, I forgot to mention that exercise is also key. Good luck!
    lore_tex

• Overall, keeping my calories somewhat low works best for me. I cut out sweets and starchy carbs, but remember: fruits and veggies are carbs too. I eat lots of veggies, and some fresh fruits. I limit my starchy carbs to a few whole grains -- like old-fashion oats, brown rice. I also use quinoa as a starch (rice, potato) substitute. (It's actually a sprout - high protein, low carb).

Exercising really does help too. If I get it out of the way in the morning, I can feel good about that little accomplishment all day. If I don't, it hangs over my head.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 3:47 PM on May. 9, 2011