..so, what the &%$# is this??

..it was found under an old cypress we've groomed a bit to make a sort of  'outdoor quiet place' for my daughter. its about the weight of a piece of driftwood.. and it looks an awful lot like a mushroom.. but its hard.. its definitely not wood, tho??

eatapeach

Asked by eatapeach at 12:49 AM on May. 9, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I am guessing that it is Flat Polypore Mushroom (Daedalopsis confragosa). That is a hard fungi that grows out of trees.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 1:03 AM on May. 9, 2011

• A fossilized dinosaur turd?
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 12:51 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Look into your local Master Gardeners Society. Should be a great resource for gardening questions. Also try a university extension- contact your local college to speak with a horticulturist perhaps. LOL Love the idea of the fossilized dino poo!! Good Luck!! Re post if you find out what it is! That's unique for sure!!
    KariLyn84

Answer by KariLyn84 at 12:53 AM on May. 9, 2011

• hmm.. I thought it was a potato til I read your discription... I have no clue. Have you thought about taking it to your local garden store and asking them?
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:51 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Some type of nut, seed, shell???
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:51 AM on May. 9, 2011

• looks like a fungus of some kind

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:53 AM on May. 9, 2011

• I would take it to your local Garden place and see if they can ID it for you....
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 12:56 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Fungus. Can't give you the proper name but I remember finding them a lot when I was a kid and me and my friend would use them to make 'witches brew'.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 1:00 AM on May. 9, 2011

• looks just like formented doggie turd , i have scene the same thing in my back yard after winter , doggie turd that has been there way to long , wash your hands , cuz that is yucky
    MyPinkRainbow

Answer by MyPinkRainbow at 1:02 AM on May. 9, 2011

• No idea either but it looks pretty cool.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 5:56 AM on May. 9, 2011