How many kids can you afford?

Luisa621

Asked by Luisa621 at 1:00 AM on May. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• two , That's all i have and ever will have (:
    des11987

Answer by des11987 at 1:02 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Just 1 for now, unfortunately.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 1:03 AM on May. 9, 2011

• that is a very interesting question. we're doing OK w/ two. they have the best toys, clothes, dance classes, private school, etc. BUT.... we suffer in other areas. we hope to have a 3rd possible a 4th at some point. depending on how I want them to live.... I can afford barely the 2 I have now or else 6-8 more (if they ate only ramen and went to the crappy local public school)
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:04 AM on May. 9, 2011

• We have 3 and were doing ok. I would love one more girl but my finances and my,husband says otherwise lol
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 1:18 AM on May. 9, 2011

• the two we have now...so long as everything stays "normal". DH & i would love to have a house full of kids but financially thats not an option...at least right now.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:35 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Idk how many kids I can really afford. I feel like as long as you have an average salary job you can make it with 1 or 2 kids and maybe make ends meet with 3 or 4 kids. However, if you have 5 or more kids I think it will better on your family if you have an high salary job. Even though I know families that has 5 or more kids and is still doing okay with an average salary job. I make good money being an entertainer so I can afford maybe 3 kids :). However, I only want one child for now and when my son becomes 17 or 18 I can try to conceive another one since I started having children at a young age somewhat. I might change my mind about the amount of children or when I would like to have children as time flies by. I am an only child and I know the pros and cons about being an only child so I guess I will have to see what I would like to do in the future :).
    Diamond2010

Answer by Diamond2010 at 6:38 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Only one right now :(. I would have two if I could. But between private school ( public not an option due to specific needs), medical bills, therapy twice a week, and my only working three days....not going to happen soon. Plus we would adopt just as we did the first time. At this rate it will be several more years.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:46 AM on May. 9, 2011

• I do well with the 2 I have could do with one more but I am comfy with how it is
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 6:57 AM on May. 9, 2011

• There is a saying that after the 2nd (or 3rd) or more the cost is irrelevant. (To a point). Meaning the more you have the lower the cost difference for each additional child. (Again to a point). I have 2 of my own, but currently have my nephew is living with us. (My sister is Army in Iraq, so her son is staying with us during her deployment). Honestly, there hasn't been a significant increase in our monthly bills having him here. Yes, my sister is giving us money, but in all honesty we do NOT need the money she is giving us. We are truly able to feed, cloth, and provide for all 3 kids on our income-I don't need the money my sister is giving us to care for her child during the deployment.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 8:49 AM on May. 9, 2011

• we have 5 kids, and DH is amry, we live on post have full insurance, have no bills ( husing related) and we do great! I am thrifty and my kids have nice thins, we have a nice home, BUT we now how to budget, save for things WE want and our kids always have the best! we do good and could afford as many as we wanted, as long as we are money concious, and have priorities... we pklan on 1 more
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:11 AM on May. 9, 2011