How long does it take a badly bruised foot to heal?

I badly bruised (ER's assessment, not mine) my foot 3 weeks ago and I still can't comfortably fit it into shoes. I mainly wear two pairs of shoes, my flip flops and my tennis/exercise shoes. I can't fully slip my sandals on and I have to really loosen my tennis shoes to put them on with out pain.

Shouldn't that problem have faded with the swelling?

Granted there's still a reddish tint covering the insole and roof. It looks like the skin just got over-heated, like you placed something in the microwave then put it on top of your skin, but it's not hot. There's a slight lump in the insole as well as the roof which I thought was from the bruising but the bruising is gone and yet the lump remains. The ER guys did an X-Ray and said nothing was broken so is this still from the bruising?

I'm confused, curious and annoyed so I thought I'd ask you lovely ladies. I appreciate your answers a lot. It saves me from bugging my family. :o)

ElijahsMom211

Asked by ElijahsMom211 at 1:07 AM on May. 9, 2011 in Health

• well the thing is you use your foot daily for many things so you cannot "baby" it and let it rest like you could some other body parts. because of that simple fact I'd assume it would take 3-4x as long to heal as a normal injury would. it gets no rest except the few hours you're sleeping... it keeps getting re-irritated with very step
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:10 AM on May. 9, 2011

• I know it's terrible when you have a bruised foot, I have been there. It feels as bad as a break. Does it still appear to be swollen? When you bruise a bone it does take longer for it to heal. How's the pain? When you have the chance to put it up do it. Maybe you have some inflammation, try advil and see if it helps.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:21 AM on May. 9, 2011

• It depends on each person and then each body part, honestly. With a foot, like was said above, you really can't just put it up and not use it unless it's broken and in a cast/brace. I bruise extremely easily, but then I also heal quickly too, usually before the rest of the injury is gone, my bruises are completely gone.

If you're really concerned about the pain and the swelling, you should talk to a doctor.
    Uhura

Answer by Uhura at 1:28 AM on May. 9, 2011

• amessageofhope: There may be a little bit of swelling but it looks/feels more like a lump or a bulge. There's no give like if there's fluid and while it's not as tender, it is still a little tender to pressure - mainly on the top of my foot where the arch is.

the pain's alright most days. It's painful to walk on for a bit when I've been resting it for awhile (like when I'm sleeping or just resting on the couch) but after I move around a bit, it loosens. I'm limping slightly but only I would know that. :o) The only times it really hurts is, other than in the mornings when I wake up and walk around, after I'm on it for a bit like when I walk the dogs (twice a day). Then I'm usually limping around a bit heavier for. I walked them two and a half hours ago and it's still pretty painful to walk. I've wrapped it to provide a bit of support which helps a bit.
    ElijahsMom211

Comment by ElijahsMom211 (original poster) at 1:33 AM on May. 9, 2011