Trying to figure out why my baby is so gassy (poots alot lol) all the time...colic?

I breastfeed my son. He's almost 4 months old now, and has really bad gas spells everyday, and they seem really painful because he cries and screams when it happens. But anyway, I know it's aweful that I smoke and all, but I was wondering, could that have anything to do with why he has these horrible spells? I mean I don't smoke around him, EVER, but could the nicotine in my breastmilk be causing his tummy problems? I've never heard of smoking causing gas....and it's not an upset stomach from diarrhea or constipation. I smoke about a pack a day by the way....or could it be something that I'm eating? I eat such a varied diet that I have no idea where to even start trying to pinpoint which food could be bothering him, if thats the problem. I also love my coffee, so caffeine could likely be the culprit, but he doesn't have any of the other symptoms, like having sleeping problems, or being overactive or fussy or anything...he just cries, and then poots. HELP PLEASE!!! I feel so sorry for him and I just want to make him feel better. If I could take his pain and put it in me, I would in a heartbeat....Thanks in advance for any advice you might be able to give, I look foward to hearing your answers, so maybe we can fix this little problem...

summermail88

Asked by summermail88 at 1:08 AM on May. 9, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is he maybe lactose intolerant? I would think that most likely it is something in ur diet. I would talk to ur dr and see what they recommend doing.
    lalala09

Answer by lalala09 at 1:36 AM on May. 9, 2011

• I breastfeed too, and there are lists on some breastfeeding sites of foods that will cause a gassy baby. Rule those out first. You can try Mylicon drops for gas, but I think if you really want to start getting to the bottom of the issue you'll pay attention to your diet and find out if the foods your eating are affecting him.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 1:14 AM on May. 9, 2011

• That was my first thought too, are you eating a lot of dairy? If you are you could try cutting back to see if that helps.
    Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 8:22 AM on May. 9, 2011