How exactly can a person be "pro-life at birth"?

I've seen banners reminding people that when they were born, they were pro-life, and I can't for the life of me recall having an opinion on the legal status of abortion as I was making my grand entrance from the uterus into the world.

bishopblack

Asked by bishopblack at 1:38 AM on May. 9, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• You are born neutral, you are then programmed or lean toward being pro choice or pro life as a by product of your upbringing. A baby wants to eat, be loved, poop and cry, they have no such feelings
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:12 AM on May. 9, 2011

• I am guessing most babies are happy to be alive and not dead.

Answer by gemgem at 8:14 AM on May. 9, 2011

• I'm pro-choice, but I understand that argument.
    They are trying to say that newborns are pro-life, because they could have been aborted and wouldn't be born that day. Especially partial birth abortions, that would be the day of their death.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:12 AM on May. 9, 2011

• I haven't seen those banners but perhaps it's a reflection on the fact that every living thing will "fight" with whatever means it has, to survive. Babies cry when hungry and need food, newborns instinctivly nuzzle to find that natural food source which is their means of survivial. So I guess since the will to survive is instinctive, it could be said that one is pro-life at birth.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 8:35 AM on May. 9, 2011

• I don't remember at birth being gung ho for abortion......
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:51 AM on May. 9, 2011

• this is just silly -- it's a statement saying as a BORN child you are probably glad your mother didn't abort you.. I dunno, I guess at birth I would have rather been born then... dead. really...
    Camilletnt

Answer by Camilletnt at 8:21 AM on May. 9, 2011

• I don't think you are anything at birth, either way. Just as a life of crime is mostly environmental, so is the belief it is ok to kill an unborn baby. Of course, it takes knowledge and morals to not do either of these things, some people get it and some don't
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:26 AM on May. 9, 2011

• As a person who was nearly aborted by my teen mom I am very glad my mom told her mom to go to hell and got off the table and gave birth to me. I have a wonderful son and a great life would have sucked to miss out on all that. At a day old I had no concept of pro life or pro choice. Infants do have an instinct to eat and be close to people who can nourish them so they do stay alive.
    chaiteamomma

Answer by chaiteamomma at 8:56 AM on May. 9, 2011

• So I guess since the will to survive is instinctive, it could be said that one is pro-life at birth.-

^this.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:45 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Anon, sorry, I don't totally comprehend what it is you're trying to say there. Is this a rephrasing of the "every single human being wants to be alive and would choose life over abortion" sentiment?
    bishopblack

Comment by bishopblack (original poster) at 2:56 AM on May. 9, 2011