How do we get a stubborn 1yo to eat baby/solid food?

My 1yo, Noah, refuses to eat anything other than formula and I don't know what to do about it. By his age, Elijah (our first) was eating grilled cheese and milk. Noah will drink whole milk (or skim really) but he refuses to eat anything like baby cereal/oatmeal, baby food, bananas, etc. ANYTHING solid he won't touch. We can get him to eat a bit of cereal/oatmeal by either shoving the spoon into his TIGHTLY closed mouth or by letting him feed himself but then he just gets more on himself than in his mouth. And usually when he does feed himself, it's maybe enough to equal a spoonful.

I'm just at a loss at what to do bc if I follow others' advice and not force it, he'll NEVER eat solid food and I didn't have ANY problems getting my oldest to eat anything (other than green veggies, heehee).

Ideas?? The formula is getting harder for us to afford monthly and it would really help if we could get him off it.

ElijahsMom211

Asked by ElijahsMom211 at 1:49 AM on May. 9, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, start by talking to his doctor to make sure that there isnt a medical reason he is rejecting solids. The doctor may also have some great professional advice. If you are having a hard time affording formula programs like WIC will often help moms out, although they did stop giving me formula after a year and started giving me baby foods. Try all the good fruit flavors first, take a couple bites yourself, play the airplane or train game with the spoon.
    I agree that you shouldnt force it because then he will have more negative feelings about it. But you should let him do it himself and maybe subtly help him. Dont let him realize you are helping but just make sure some gets in there. He wont starve himself. He is old enough for solids and will get hungry. He isnt old enough for skim milk though, he should have whole milk until age 2.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 8:41 AM on May. 9, 2011

• I would stop giving him formula altogether. It can be very filling and if your little guy is hungry, he will have to eat SOMETHING evenutally. Kids won't starve themselves just because they aren't getting the exact food they want. Just don't let formula be an option anymore and find maybe one or two foods that he will tolerate a bit and start offering them every mealtime.
    ShainaMay

Answer by ShainaMay at 7:16 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Stop the formula cold turkey and only offer whole milk. Start offering him normal foods and if he is hungry he will eat. Try the new Gerber Graduate oatmeal's. My son is a year old and loves them! I agree with the post above mine..he won't starve. They will eat when hungry but if you cater to him then he is willing and controlling you and your going to have a picky eater! Good luck!
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 9:10 AM on May. 10, 2011