How do you get a stubborn 1yo to drink out of a sippy cup?

Me again! :o)

Our pediatrician told us that at 1yr, no bottles - no pacifiers and with our first we followed that and, with the exception of a few nights, had no problems but with Noah, he refuses to drink out of a sippy. The pacifier is on again, off again. If we don't give it to him, he tends to cry from anywhere between 5min to an hour. If we do, he almost always goes to sleep w/o issue. I don't mind letting him cry, it'll be easier to wean him off it now than when he's older but the bottle is a different story..

Ideas?

ElijahsMom211

Asked by ElijahsMom211 at 1:52 AM on May. 9, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• With my son, I simply threw away his bottles one day and told him another baby needed it and that because he was a big boy, I gave the bottles to the baby. He would whine and cry for few days but got over it. He didn't like his sippy cup at first but then realized it was the kind of cup and how fast liquid would come out. When I actually got the sippy cup brand in his fav color and changed to make it come out faster, he slowly started drinking it. Months later, I switch it to slower so he had to suck it cause it would leak. It will only take a week tops to get your son transferred to a sippy.
    sarag1983

Answer by sarag1983 at 2:23 AM on May. 9, 2011

• dont give him one during the day, if he wont go with the sippy then " let him go to the store" and him pick out one"/ or try a plastc cup with a straw and tell him its a "big boy" cup. but this one has to be wash everynight and can have it back in the am.... Have HIM throw away his bottle letting him know he is growing big and stong,,, this is another step into big boy world. Then take him outsideto play,...lol
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 2:34 AM on May. 9, 2011

• He turned 1 at the end of March so he's not going to understand the concept of picking out his own cup just yet.

I try to refuse him a bottle but if I don't give him one (trying only the sippy) he won't eat and he'll just cry.
    ElijahsMom211

Comment by ElijahsMom211 (original poster) at 2:37 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Just get rid of the bottles, explain that they are gone and that this is his new cup ( a 12 mth old understands more than we think!) I would just leave the sippy cup around he wherever he is playing somewhere within his reach and if he is thirsty in time, he will go for it! Good Luck!
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 4:02 AM on May. 9, 2011

• WAIT UNTIL THE KID IS READY. Your kid and you know more about it than any dr who sees them every 3-6 months.
    blackisbetter

Answer by blackisbetter at 4:46 AM on May. 9, 2011

• It doesn't have to be exactly at 1 year, you can do it gradually if it's easier. I used the sippy cups with straws
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:52 PM on May. 9, 2011