FOR YOU SAHM THAT BUILT YOUR BUISNESS AT HOME WHERE DID YOU START?

Im a stay @ home mom tht is making & selling blankets & i want to c where this takes me!
I ONLY WANT TO SELL THROUGH ONLINE BUT THERE ARE SO MANY THINGS I HAVE TO DO LIKE BUISNESS LISCENSE MY DBA... WHERE DO I START AND WHERE DO I GO? ANY ADVICE AND IDEAS ARE APPRECIATED

COZYBLANKIES

Asked by COZYBLANKIES at 1:54 AM on May. 9, 2011 in Money & Work

• Well, showing pictures is a great way to start. Blogging about it with pictured and sharing it with friends and family so it grows a little popular at first. You can do youtube videos that show how to make mini blankets so people will go to your site and see what you are offering. Article writing can bring you some more people. Craigs list, e-bay, online newspaper ad's.. most are free. But, I would do some more research and have plenty on hand just in case you take a nice huge selling streak fast!! What kind of blankets? I have a friend that crochets pictures of dogs, people etc.
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 2:27 AM on May. 9, 2011

• WELL I DID MAKE A FACEBOOK PAGE AND IT BLEW UP NICELY BUT ITS STILL NOT ENOUGH... BUT IM ALSO A LIL SCARED CAUSE ITS LIKE HAVING A BUISNESS ANND I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO WITH THAT... THAN I HEARD THAT EBAY LETS THE IRS KNOW HOW MUCH UR SELLING ONLINE... SO IDK... IM STUCK
    COZYBLANKIES

Comment by COZYBLANKIES (original poster) at 2:38 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Honestly, you should go to the library and check out books on it. That's what I did when we started our business. Find ones more specific to the type of business you're trying to start and it will help you find out what you need to do (For example, you need to file the DBA in your county and pay for a business license). Setting up a small DBA operation like this one really isn't hard if you'll just get the info you need from the books.
    After that, you can check out books on how to market your small business online--good stuff there too!
    Best of luck!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:29 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Well, yes, if you ,make something (and last I knew it was 500 a month)significant you do have to report it on your tax's. That all has to do with book keeping and stuff though. You might try some craft areas on here to tell people about your facebook page and stuff. Don't be afraid, just go to it! Most successful moms are only successful because they didn't let themselves be nervous or afraid when it came to that kind of stuff! Think about it this way if you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, you're right! The worst that can happen is it doesn't work out! And, if that's the case you are just where you stand right now!
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 8:31 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Yeah if you want to sell "like" a business, you should be legit and professional. You can come up with a catchy name for a domain name and create a website with pictures, or even just off with an etsy.com site. Look into local mom groups in your area (such as TheMommiesNetwork.org) and advertise there as well. You may only want to concentrate with online but come Fall and Winter there are LOTS of craft shows in churches and schools where tables are really affordable.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 9:06 AM on May. 9, 2011

• There is a long list of things you need to do to be a legitamate business.  You need to do these things to stay out of trouble with the IRS and other government agencies.

If you need help, I invite you to join my business group.  Check out the posts in the Business forum and Marketing forum.

MoversShakers

Answer by MoversShakers at 12:28 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Ok I sell on Ebay, they do not report to the IRS unless it is something they've started in the past couple weeks. That doesn't matter though, it depends on the state you live in. I'm going to assume that you need a vendor's license because blankets are items that you have to charge sales tax for. In my state you do not have to get a DBA if you do a sole proprietorship (sp?) basically means you are doing business for yourself. Call your local county auditor's department they can put you through or give you a number to call...ask how to get started. Make sure you do it so it is a legit business, you don't want the county/state/federal tax people coming after you. Also call a local bank and have them explain to you the difference between "business" accounts. Then contact an accountant and an attorney so that you have all the legal stuff out of the way. Good Luck.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 8:15 PM on May. 9, 2011

• kitchenwitch78~ thanks so much for the advice...i live in california... but ok its alot to do but i gotta do it... u gave me a good start of where to begin

THANKS LADIES FOR ALL THE GREATT ADVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
    COZYBLANKIES

Comment by COZYBLANKIES (original poster) at 9:50 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Just a comment on your comment about the IRS....if you are selling stuff, you are making an income, and you WILL get in trouble if they catch you. The thing is, you will probably not be making much money at the beginning, and by being above board, you will be able to claim part of your rent (in proportion to the amount of space you use for your business), your internet, your phone, etc and even babysitting and travel.

Many businesses that have a great idea, great product, even a great customer base, are sunk by the "hidden" costs of business, like accounting costs, taxes, and even just the time it takes to manage all the different aspects of the venture.

Good luck, and if you would like to have a bit of extra money to help tide you over, I work with a company that specializes in helping people with their "Plan B"....P.M. me if you want to learn more!
    livewell

Answer by livewell at 9:56 AM on May. 10, 2011

• livewell- tell me more...
    COZYBLANKIES

Comment by COZYBLANKIES (original poster) at 2:04 PM on May. 10, 2011