What age is appropriate to sleep in the top bunk?

My son is going to bed 5 in February and we are moving with my in-laws in April or May. We bought a bunk bed about a year ago and he has been asking to use it since then but we have been afraid of him falling out of the bunk. It is a low bunk bed but still worrisome if he were to fall out. We have 2 boys, ages 2 (will be 3 in April) and 4 (will be 5 in February). I have already though about putting a gate/bar on it to help make sure he doesn't fall out. He has not fallen out of his twin bed in well over a year. Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks ladies!

Neon1980

Asked by Neon1980 at 9:22 AM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• He is old enough and bunks should have a guard rail anyway.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• When he feel comfortable, to sleep up their.

Answer by louise2 at 9:32 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I think it partly depends on how big he is and if it is possible for him to slip through between the rail and the mattress. If his body is too big to fit through he should be ok, but if you think there's any chance his body could slip through but not his head then you need to wait.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:24 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• He should do fine just get a safety gate for it and all will be well.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:43 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• My 4 year old sleeps in the top bunk, and hasnt fallin off...we have had the bunk beds for a year now....your son should do fine..
    jenny_1012

Answer by jenny_1012 at 5:02 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I think they say the age is 6 years old for them to sleep in the top bunk.
    LexiMom4

Answer by LexiMom4 at 4:27 PM on Dec. 15, 2008