Communication

How do you talk to your kids when you know they are doing drugs?
How do I resist getting angry?
How do I get my child to talk to me?
I'm not good at these things,my kid didn't come with a manual.
And taking things away will only make a child more defiant and sneaky.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:21 AM on May. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• Have you had open communication with them since they were small? Have you encouraged them to come to you with anything, questions, feelings etc, do they feel like they can come to you or are they expecting you to blow up? If you havent, its going to be harder for you to start now if your child is a teenager, I am just guessing here as I dont know age. I know it can be hard to keep your cool with something like this, but if you want your child to be honest with you you have to try to keep calm and listen, and try to find out the reason WHY they are doing drugs if they do admit to it, if you can get to the reason behind the behavior you will understand more and know more of how to help your child, try to keep your anger and hurt to yourself initially as much as you can and ensure your child you are their for them and that you want to help If your child does admit to it you then have to get them the help they need. Good Luck!
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 3:57 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Wow, this is a tough situation. I would probably talk to my child saying that I know he/she is doing drugs and inform my son/daughter about what happens to you when you use drugs. I would also supervise my son/daughter more and inform my child that I will be keeping an eye on him/her more until I can trust that he/she is not going to do drugs anymore. During the time you specially supervise your child, you should make him/her talk to people that did drugs and quit [because of the way drugs harmed them], watch movies, read books, etc. about doing drugs. Try not to show any anger towards your child while you are doing this as well. However, if my advice doesn't work and he/she uses drugs again in the future, then let your child know that you are very disappointed in him/her. If you believe in god pray about your situation and ask god for help. Good luck!
    Diamond2010

Answer by Diamond2010 at 7:06 AM on May. 9, 2011