Ever gone through a period of not liking people in general?

Seems for the last year, I've preferred my own company (just being by myself) to my social network. Outside of my BFF and DH, I really don't seem to like other people very much.
It kind of seems like the drama that comes with some friends is just too much effort.
But on the whole, I just really don't like a lot of people in my life. I used to be highly social as a necessity to my career, and I really got to meet a LOT of people and found out that the majority just didn't seem genuine or worth my time. So once I retired, I just kept to myself and let all those old acquaintances just fade away. Once I weeded them out, one by one, and really got down to the people I really wanted to keep in my life, I found that my social network was a lot smaller than I thought it would be. Can't say I miss any of them either.

I guess it's just a phase, since I'm transitioning into my role as "empty nester" and retired now. I do wonder if it's normal though. Where I used to be very social, I'm now finding that I don't mind being a "loner" at all. Is that odd?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:33 AM on May. 9, 2011 in Relationships

• me too... same way and I enjoy my time.
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 2:36 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Wow really!? Whew - I thought I was alone in this one. I don't mean to sound like I think I'm better than someone - because I know there's not crown on my head - but it's almost like Apple's advice on downloading apps - consider the re-use rate, will you really be using this app in a month, if not, you probably don't need it. I kinda ask myself the same about people - do I find them intriguing and/or enjoyable enough to want them crowding up my space. LOL I must be getting down to the basics these days. I guess it does make you re-examine your life when your kids leave home.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:43 AM on May. 9, 2011

• everyday since 2 years ago.....after I was working at this one job....ugh....
    raeyliNlilysmom

Answer by raeyliNlilysmom at 2:45 AM on May. 9, 2011

• My eldest child is grown up and left home, I have 3 teens and 2 younger kids. I don't like people much either. I mean, I enjoy the company of others in small doses, but I'd rather be with my husband and kids or on my own. Maybe it's a phase, or maybe an "awakening" ?? :D
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 2:45 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Same here! But, it's a new thing for me. The phone rings and I just look at it wondering when it's going to stop ringing lol. That can also be depression as well
    Helen2004

Answer by Helen2004 at 2:49 AM on May. 9, 2011

• I can't say I've ever particularly liked other people. I suppose tolerate would be a more appropriate word for my encounters with other human beings.
    bishopblack

Answer by bishopblack at 3:01 AM on May. 9, 2011

• I'm only 20 years old, pregnant, and no where near retirement. I can hardly stand most people. I'm actually dreading my baby shower, which is supposed to be fun, because there will be so many people there. The only people I actually enjoy talking to, are my husband, and sister in laws. Thats it. I use to be extremely social in highschool, but I grew up, got a job, found a husband, got married, and everyone resented me for it I guess. I don't even talk to my best friend of 8 years. She became this drama cesspool, and started telling people I was jealous of her because she started dating my cheating ex, who cheated on her within the first few days of their "relationship" didn't see that one coming. As long as you have a few people you can trust not to piss you off with stupid crap, you're alright.
    monstersmommy20

Answer by monstersmommy20 at 4:45 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Hey, you spent all those years with kids around and having to do things with people. Relax and enjoy yourself. When you get lonesome you know how to contact people.
    blackisbetter

Answer by blackisbetter at 4:48 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Yes I went through this and found that at times my company is the best its ok I still interact but I can't wait for people to leave me alone lol
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 7:17 AM on May. 9, 2011

• At about the time I became an empty nester I found myself wanting to spend more time alone as well. The drama in other peoples lives and the energy it takes to keep up with it are vexing to me. Commotion is something that I find annoying...so I wonder if it's all tied in together for me.
    I also hate talking to anyone on the phone.
    The only person that doesn't bother me to be around all the time is my SO because I don't have to entertain him.

CallMeAngie

Answer by CallMeAngie at 7:19 AM on May. 9, 2011