Kind of embarrassing adult content

So my 2 year old was playing in his room when he came to me in the living room with something in his hands. He handed it to me and I immediately smelled it. Poop. I know gross. Before I could stop him he had his hand in his mouth. He has never done anything like this and he had just had a diaper change so its not like he was sitting in it for a long time or anything. Is this normal? Is he gonna be ok since he might have ate some? Or do I need to take him to the doctor? I gave him a bath and washed his hands and around his mouth good with antibacterial soap. Sorry for the tmi. Thanks in advance.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:32 AM on May. 9, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Kids don't get sick from their own poop--it is. after all, his own germs. He is 2 and exploring everything--I'll bet it tasted like--well--poop--so I doubt he will try it again. Live and learn.
    blackisbetter

Answer by blackisbetter at 4:38 AM on May. 9, 2011

• LOL ok. Thanks. I was just wondering because like I said he has never done anything like this. Thanks again.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:48 AM on May. 9, 2011

• This is very gross, but very normal - lots of kids do something like this. You did the right thing, cleaning him up and everything, but I wouldn't worry about taking him to the Dr. or anything like that.

Now, if it becomes this thing that he's doing a lot, then yeah, I think I would ask about it, but doing it once, as the pp said basically just exploring and giving it a try, then it's not something to stress over :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:15 AM on May. 9, 2011

• yes he will be just fine lol its something most toddler try at some point much to are upset lol
    feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 5:29 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Gross, but not abnormal or doctor-worthy at this point. I agree with one of the pp that said to look into it if it becomes a regular thing. Otherwise, chalk it up to normal toddler curiosity and exploration.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:59 AM on May. 9, 2011

• My bf is very smart and i asked him this same question bc my son did the same thing. He told me that they can get an infection in his mouth from poop. I would contact your dr
    Love_Levi

Answer by Love_Levi at 1:00 PM on May. 9, 2011

• my 13 mo did the same thing about a month ago, and by the look on his face as i dove for his hand, he wont do it again, and he was just fine. kids eat dirt poop bugs and alll sorts of gross stuff. I just hope poo was the only thing I actualy witness...
    kgrine

Answer by kgrine at 4:04 PM on May. 9, 2011