Am I naive or is she overreacting? (wedding/puppy issue)

Here is the situation my sister is getting married in a month and a half ( she lives 6 hours from me) and I am her maid of honor. I understand that with that comes a certain level of responsibility and that is fine. I have her bridal shower planned and ready to go in 2 weeks. I have her bachelorette party all set up and ready to go (She is Baptist so we are doing a formal tea not bar hopping). We have the dresses fitted, I am making the flower girls dresses and they will be done very soon. Now with all that said and done I got married just 3 years ago so I think it is still pretty fresh in my mind. Here is my issue... I am getting a puppy it has been set up since last fall I have been talking about it all winter so not a new issue, my puppy will be coming home 3 1/2 weeks before the wedding. My sister called me all PO'd because I plan on bringing the puppy with me for the week I will be in town for her wedding ( I already told her I am willing to stay either in my camper or in a motel so the puppy won't need to be in her house necessarily) She wants me to find someone to keep the puppy while I am there and not bring it with me at all even though my husband and daughter will be there also. She says the puppy is going to ruin everything and take too much of my time so I won't be able to help her. My question is and I asked her (resulting in a hang up) What all is she going to need help with for a week that is going to take so much time that my family and I are going to be so busy we won't be able to take care of 1 puppy between the 3 of us?

momfairy

Asked by momfairy at 5:32 AM on May. 9, 2011 in Pets

• Bridezilla! She is over reacting. Has she never been around a puppy? You don't have to be with it 24/7. I would bring your camper and keep the puppy in there.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 5:40 AM on May. 9, 2011

• We grew up on a cattle ranch with lots of dogs/ puppies all the time, so yes she and I both have been around many many puppies.
    momfairy

Comment by momfairy (original poster) at 5:44 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Just tell her you will be staying in your camper or a hotel and you will be bringing the new addition to your family, period. She does not like it,,owe well.

Answer by louise2 at 5:48 AM on May. 9, 2011

• This is her wedding. You are her sister and her maid of honor.
    You cannot leave a puppy in a camper or in a hotel alone.
    Find someone to take care of the pup.
    This is her time.
    Give it with a loving heart.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:45 AM on May. 9, 2011

• If you take the puppy, are you going to be willing to leave the dog in the camper, or leave it with your dh or dd? The puppy shouldn't be at any of the events - shower, tea, wedding, reception, etc. If your thoughts were that the puppy should be going with you or your family to any of those things, then your sister is right, and the puppy should stay with someone else.

If your family is going to be caring for the puppy while you are doing those things with her, and if the puppy is able to stay by itself (or have someone who is not a wedding guest) come check on it while you're at the wedding and reception, or any of the "whole family" things, then bring the puppy and leave him/her in the trailer.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:05 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Well, I get the whole bonding thing (which I why I assume you are so adamant about bringing the pup) but this is your sister's wedding and time tends to get away from folks during festivities...do you really want that kind of extra concern? That's just one more thing you have to worry about. I strongly suggest leaving the pup with someone at home if possible. It sounds like it will end up being an issue with your sister and that's really not fair to her, considering it is her wedding...leave the pup home and enjoy yourself!
    BryRon

Answer by BryRon at 7:25 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Are your dh and dd not going to be taking part in the festivities? If they are, having to go and check on the puppy, letting it out to do it's business, checking on food, water, etc. could be a problem and of course, one of you would always be asking the others, hey did you check on puppy, did you take puppy for a walk and let it do it's business. It'd just be an added concern none of you need. Find a good kennel for the puppy, go and enjoy yourselves. Perhaps the people you're getting puppy from would be willing to babysit for the week for a reasonable amount of pay.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 8:03 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Here's a question..How would she be reacting if you had just had a new baby and were breastfeeding and needed the baby with you 24/7? A puppy is not a 24/7 commitment and if you are willing to even bring your camper she shouldn't have anything to say about it. If she wants you at her beck and call for an entire week maybe she is feeling insecure about the wedding itself and wants support I think you have a bridezilla on your hands. I'd tell her that what you have planned, that everything is set up, and she doesn't have to worry. But you have your own family and a new family member and she's going to have to deal with you not being there every second.
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 8:06 AM on May. 9, 2011

• I think she's overreacting a bit, assuming you were going to be able to leave the pup alone for a couple hours while you go to the wedding, reception, etc.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 9:02 AM on May. 9, 2011

• get back to you later
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 9:25 AM on May. 9, 2011