Do you sample the meal as you make it?

If it's stir fry, I test the meat to see if I seasoned it well enough. With box dinners, I just assume the directions are accurate and play it by ear. Spaghetti...I wait for the time on the box to come around, but I'll test the noodles to make sure they are where we like them...

And my experiment that I made tonight...I FINALLY made potato stroganoff! Without the box! -does happy dance- I wanted to make it on the stove top and I used some boxes of scalloped potatoes so I could take the pre-made potatoes from it, but the rest was me...though I didn't do measurements and tried to remember what standard box dinners require for water and milk amounts...I realized I didn't sample it...till the end. I was getting ready to serve it when I realized I needed to make sure it was cooked. I've never made it without a box before...this was a whole new dish to me at this point...so I sampled it. Came out pretty good lol...kids enjoyed it too. A small victory...just wish I could remember how much of what I put in it so I can recreate it next time too. LOL.

Do you sample while you cook?

Imortlmommy

Asked by Imortlmommy at 8:04 AM on May. 9, 2011 in Food & Drink

• hmm not really unless im hungry hungry! LOL
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 8:08 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Kind of depends what it is. Pasta & rice I do - I don't rely on times whatsoever. I don't make boxed meals. Experimental dishes I do to make sure everything is done. Stuff I make regularly I don't bother to taste.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on May. 9, 2011

• I'm guilty of sampling as I cook, though in my defense, I do like to experiment with seasonings, etc. so its part and parcel of my cooking technique.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 10:08 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Usually. Some things I sample for seasoning, some just because. My gramma always called the little 'just because it's yummy' tastes: The Cook's Treat. :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 2:00 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Yes, I do. Have to make sure the food is seasoned properly.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:50 PM on May. 9, 2011

• nope
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 6:05 PM on May. 27, 2011