Do you get your fair share?

I thought this was interesting and could explain why different people in different parts of the country view our govt different ways-

This is from Newsweek- here are states that get far more back in federal money than their citizens pay in:

Mississippi- $2.83 for every $1
WV- $2.82
NM- $2.80
HI- $2.38
Alaska - $2.24
Alabama- $2.21
SC- $2.13
Montana- $2.12
Maine- $2.00
KY- $1.96

Your thoughts?

soyousay

Asked by soyousay at 8:57 AM on May. 9, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• LOL I know TX is on the losing end and it's probably gotten worse in the past 2 1/2 yrs. It's about .94 right now.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:12 AM on May. 9, 2011

• I would expect to see more red states than blue. There are more red states to begin with and the blue states tend to have higher populations..thus more taxes to collect.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:57 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Four of those states also share borders and Fed. $ goes there as well.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:02 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Wow, I guess I live in the wrong state. I'm not sure what the "average' is here, but I can tell you we pay in more than we get back - which is the ONLY way the government is going to get out of debt.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:04 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Just looking over an interstate map and knowing that some of these states have low populations, I am not surprised. I am sure that there is more than just paying for roads, but after driving through some of these states the last couple of years, I'm not surprised since there seems to be a lot of road work going on the interstates. Montana is the 4th largest state in the US and doesn't even have one million people in the entire state.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:26 AM on May. 9, 2011

• I would expect Alaska and Hawaii to be higher...everything there costs more.

Some of the states are high poverty states so I am not surprised at those.

Maine is a head scratcher though!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:54 AM on May. 9, 2011

• I don't think there is enough information supplied with any of these reports. I believe that each state has unique qualities and needs that must be met. There are states where there are more federal projects going on than others.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 1:46 PM on May. 9, 2011

• adnilm is right, these reports are based solely off money collected in taxes, it doesn't take into account other ways the fed may make money off states. The numbers aren't accurate at all.
    miss_lisa

Answer by miss_lisa at 2:46 PM on May. 9, 2011

• My states not listed but I think it has to do with how many low income people might live there. The amount of unemployment, food stamp benefits and etc would all come into play I would think.

Answer by gemgem at 9:12 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Im in a red state but it isnt listed.

Answer by gemgem at 9:24 AM on May. 9, 2011