Are you a True Skeptic or a Pseudo Skeptic?

True Skeptics / Open-Minded Skeptics
Able to adapt and update their beliefs to new evidence and does not resist new information
Asks questions to try to understand new things and are open to learning about them
Applies critical examination and inquiry to all sides, including their own
Are nonjudgmental and do not jump to rash conclusions
Seeks the truth and considers it the highest aim, unafraid to challenge the status quo
Does not consider the official version of anything to be infallible and above examination
Thinks in terms of possibilities rather than in terms of rigidity and limitations
Fairly and objectively weighs evidence on all sides
Acknowledges valid convincing evidence rather than ignoring or denying it
Possess solid sharp common sense and objective reasoning
When all mundane explanations for a phenomenon are ruled out, are able to accept paranormal ones
Urges others to think for themselves rather than adopting fixed beliefs of organizations and institutions

PseudoSkeptics / Closed-Minded Skeptics
Holds fixed belief systems that are resistant to change and denies data which doesn't fit into them
Does not ask big questions to try to understand things, but judges them by whether they fit into their fixed beliefs
Applies "critical thinking" only to that which opposes their beliefs and the status quo, but never to the status quo itself
Carries a fixed set of rigid beliefs and denies everything outside of it without investigation
Are not interested in truth, evidence or facts, only in defending their views
Unable to challenge or apply skepticism to the status quo, establishment, or official version of anything
Considers the official version of things to be infallible and above examination
Unable to accept mysteries and uncertainty, cannot think in terms of possibilities
Scoffs and ridicules anything outside their narrow and rigid paradigm
Insists that everything unknown and unexplained must have a conventional mundane explanation
Uses semantics and word games with their own rules of logic to try to win arguments
When all mundane explanations for a phenomenon are ruled out, will still insist on them
Does not encourage you to think for yourself, but preaches you to adopt the position of the establishment on every subject
Denies all the above PseudoSkeptic traits, yet DOES them all and holds none of the traits of True Skeptics listed above

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 9:04 AM on May. 9, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I would say I aim to be a true skeptic. I generally think everything changes, but that doesn't mean I don't resist the change or have trouble getting used to it at first (for example, if we were taught something particular in science as kids and suddenly there's new evidence, I logically accept that's how science works, but it may take some getting used to at first). I certainly don't blindly believe something in spite of evidence to the contrary, so I am definitely a true skeptic more often than not.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:51 AM on May. 9, 2011

• I strive to be an open-minded skeptic, but like Eek_a_Geek, I take exception to accepting paranormal explanations when mundane explanations are ruled out. I would tend to just leave that particular question as "unanswered" rather than to accept an unproven paranormal solution.

Granted, it takes more effort to be non-judgemental, and to objectively weigh evidence, and I have to work at it sometimes.  With that said, however, I do strive to be open-minded, and I try to teach my daughters to be open-minded, too.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 4:42 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Which do you think you are? Just curious- I am interested to see if it aligns with how I "think" you come across on CM

I would have to say, I am neither- I don't consider myself a skeptic in the religious sense- I think all paths hold truth for their believers and although I may disagree- I understand that its truth to them- I do not try to define what truth is for anyone but myself- I also don't use examples like: "you can believe the moon is made of cheese" as a way to disprove what truth means in the religious sense-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:19 AM on May. 9, 2011

• yep- I would have to agree-
    now in non-religious matters I consider myself to be a true skeptic- I think that comes with age and experience ;)
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:40 AM on May. 9, 2011

• I'm definitely a true skeptic.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:17 AM on May. 9, 2011

• I'm an open-minded skeptic, apparently. I also consider myself to be a spiritual atheist, rather than a fundamentalist atheist.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:49 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I try to be as True as I can be.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:53 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I'll let other's come to the conclusion themselves based on their interactions with me.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:38 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I would have to go with "true skeptic".  However, I take issue with one point in that list: "When all mundane explanations for a phenomenon are ruled out, are able to accept paranormal ones"

Why should a skeptic simply accept a "paranormal" explanation without any evidence, rather than admitting that we simply don't have enough information or knowledge to come to an accurate conclusion at this point in time? 

Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 3:25 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I feel I fit MOST of the top ones and have more than once said those very things to people who have accused me of being close-minded. Now, as for the 'is non judgemental and doesn't jump to conclusions' part, I admit I do have issues with that as far as PEOPLE go, but not evidence. If a person responds to a post of mine with a comment that makes me go 'hhmmm' and I bounce off to research it, I have no issue selecting it as best answer even though it doesn't fit with my personal beliefs because I will then understand where they are coming from- I might not agree, but I understand it better. I am a HUGE researcher and will read and study everything I can get my hands on before coming to a conclusion about it.

IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 9:34 AM on May. 9, 2011