Do you think a "Mr. Potato Head" is an educational toy?

My husband and I are having a (silly) debate. I think it is very educational (at first) to teach a child nose, mouth, eyes, ears. Where to put them correctly ect. Then it is a fun toy to make silly faces and whatnot. My husband disagrees. He thinks it is just meant to be a fun toy. What do you think?

CarieP

Asked by CarieP at 9:53 AM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Just for Fun

• i think its both i never bought my kids one because they would throw the pieces at each other and down the heat vent
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 9:54 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Just about anything has the potential to be an educational toy. Little kids learn something from just about everything they do.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 9:55 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Our Early Intervention team used them a lot both for fine motor development, vocabulary building, and recognition of the parts and where they go. At that age, fun is learning as everything is new.
    BohdanMommy

Answer by BohdanMommy at 10:04 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• how much can you learn from a potato whose eyes pop off his head? lol no it can be both educational not sooo much fun cuz i would lose all the pieces and just have a damn potato that did nothing.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 10:13 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Both! Kids need to learn that ears don't go in eye sockets and that you only need one nose, not five. THEN, they get to see how many pieces you can fit into a potato butt. After they know that, it's just for fun. You're right on.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:24 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• it has helped me son out with naming body parts! so i think its educationai yet fun because they will feel a sense of accomplishment when they put the faace on right!
    aiden1337

Answer by aiden1337 at 10:39 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• It is absolutely an educational toy. It does help with naming the body parts, but more than that. It helps with eye hand coordination, it helps with the hand grasp and pincher grip for holding a pencil. It develops the hands and actually putting the end into the hole on the potato is a thinking skill. Every little thing on there is educational. :)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 10:53 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I agree that everything has the potential of being educational. Even Barbies can teach about social interraction.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 11:09 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Our Early Intervention team used them

Yep, ours too. And, they were a great help when teaching my daughter to think on her own. She would put in a nose and we would ask her 'What's next?' She then would put her finger to her lips in this adorable way and say 'hmmmm...mouth!' and she would put the mouth in and so forth and so on. We also use it to learn to count (How many arms? How many ears?) and colors (which color tongue do you want?)...the possibilities are endless! We just bought the Spud Buds yesterday for our daugther for Christmas...we love Potato Head!
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 11:10 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• it wouldn't be called an educational toy if it wasn't at least a little fun to play with! I agree with you... it teaches body parts, but it also improves hand-eye coordination and fine motor skills. Then there is the added bonus that it is hella fun to play with! I'm 21 and everytime I see one, I want to take it home and keep it for myself.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 11:11 AM on Dec. 5, 2008