My mother in law's Chihuahua doesn't like my 3 year old and...

I have asked her nicely before if she could put the dog away when we went to visit. Yesterday he was loose when we got there and he lunged at my daughter from under the table. I grabbed my daughter and went in the other room. I asked her again to put the dog away and she just shooed him under the table. What should I do? We usually visit once a week.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on May. 9, 2011 in Pets

• thats a hard one my mom has 2 of these dogs and they are always nerves and jumpy.......try something like asking to put the dog up because your afraid your dd might hurt the dog?.......
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:42 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Stop visiting until she will put the dog away. I would not put my child in harm's way because your MIL doesn't want to lock up her dog.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:47 AM on May. 9, 2011

• If he's lunging, then you may have to get more serious about the situation. Can you tell her that the only way you can feel comfortable visiting is if the dog is put away. Maybe you can go in first or remind her as you enter the house. If that can't happen, then you'll have to meet her elsewhere.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 9:48 AM on May. 9, 2011

• If it is an ongoing thing, get your husband to talk to his mommy dearest. If that fails, shoot straight with her. "We love visiting you but little ~Sophie~ does not need to be attacked by your dog. If you can't keep the dog away we will keep your grand daughter away."
    luv.my.kids.365

Answer by luv.my.kids.365 at 9:49 AM on May. 9, 2011

• If you visit that often, the dog needs to get used to your daughter. It's hard. My dog does the same thing with my nephew. It's a dominance thing. We keep the dog on a leash in the house when they are over. That way we have control. Can you put the dog on a leash?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:50 AM on May. 9, 2011

• I'd stop going over if she did nothing to stop the dog's behavior. I'm not talking about shooing the dog away, but actually getting on to the dog and actively teaching it NOT to do that anymore.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 9:52 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Thanks. I did all of the above already. She just doesn't care how I feel.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:54 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Well firmly say, we will not be coming over unless you put your dog away! You child may become afraid of dogs, the dog might bite your kid, and this is her grandbaby. I would have DH say that we will be leaving the next time we come over unless the dog is put up, or you may visit at our home! I honestly don't know if she wants the dog to have to be put down because it bites you kid, but this is headed somewhere bad! Good luck momma!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:19 AM on May. 9, 2011

• My mil has a dog, and I told her flat out that my baby would NOT be going into her house until she closed the dog in another room, or put it out in the back yard. If she did not contain her dog, the baby did not go in. She did not like it, but the alternative was me putting the baby back in the car and going home-- without her seeing her grandchild., Also if she let the dog in the house or out of the room it was closed in, we packed up baby and left asap. She did learn that we were serious, and meant it when we said "NO dog around baby!" If your mil won't contain her dog, then I would tell her "sorry, we won't be visiting anymore. If you want to see granchild you can come to our house-- without the dog".
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:22 AM on May. 9, 2011

• in all honesty, I would stop visiting.
    -mrs.mamma-

Answer by -mrs.mamma- at 12:22 PM on May. 9, 2011