Are Atheists generally more ethical than some very religious folks?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/why-do-americans-still-dislike-atheists/2011/02/18/AFqgnwGF_story.html

My computer refuses to make this clicky...if anyone would not mind helping me out here...this is a great article....

here is a bit of it...

"A growing body of social science research reveals that atheists, and non-religious people in general, are far from the unsavory beings many assume them to be. On basic questions of morality and human decency— issues such as governmental use of torture, the death penalty, punitive hitting of children, racism, sexism, homophobia, anti-Semitism, environmental degradation or human rights — the irreligious tend to be more ethical than their religious peers, particularly compared with those who describe themselves as very religious"

I do believe in god, but I found this to be super interesting....

samurai_chica

Asked by samurai_chica at 9:28 AM on May. 9, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I wouldn't say more ethical but definitely not unsavory beings!
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 9:30 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 9:31 AM on May. 9, 2011

• The finite difference is that our morals are not externally imposed. They stem from our inner moral compass, which guides us away from harming others. Religions (not just one- not stated, not implied), though boasting superior morality through their teachings, condone violence. We, humanists, do not.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:34 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Atheist or religious you can always find morally corrupt individuals in either crowd.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Huh, I've never been to a church that condones violence.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Its an opinion piece with little to back it up- I think that you can find "proof" for whatever side you are looking for in this type of debate- I do believe there is a difference between Atheists and Anti-theists in terms of thought- I find anti-theists and "very religious" (as defined in this article) to be the same side of the coin-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:37 AM on May. 9, 2011

• That depends entirely on your definition of ethical and very religious. The everyday religious person is not some radical, blood thirsty zealot. I am very religious...a conservative even...and my sense of morality is just fine, thank you.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 9:40 AM on May. 9, 2011

--------------------

Did I use the word "Church"? No.

If you pick up any random mainstream religious text and read it the entire way though, you'll clearly understand exactly what I stated.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:41 AM on May. 9, 2011

• There are good and bad people in every sect of society. Assuming that Christians think of atheists as unsavory is stereotyping just as much as someone saying that atheists are evil. Do some Christians feel that way? I'm sure they do. Are some atheists evil? I'm sure they are. Religion does not have anything to do with whether or not a person is "good" or "evil".

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:45 AM on May. 9, 2011

• I wouldn't call them "unsavory", even though the group that has been more mocking and demeaning of my beliefs are Atheists (not Christians, surprisingly for some), but definitely not more ethical or moral than religious people.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 9:51 AM on May. 9, 2011