Would you go for a diagnosis?

DS was seeing a child psychologist for possible Asperger's or OCD (they were trying to determine). The psycholgist at first said she thought Asperger's...Then after meeting DS she said more than likely OCD...

Now, OCD, we can easily handle with helping him cope--organizing his room, his toys, keeping to a schedule, etc. Would you go to try to get a diagnosis, or would you just let it go? The psychologist said she would see him back if there were behaviors we wanted to change, but otherwise there was no need to come back...We can cope with DS's behavior, but we thought it may be Asperger's and wanted to make sure if it was there was a diagnosis for when he was in school. DS is almost 4.

So, leave it alone and just work with DS, or try to get a diagnosis?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on May. 9, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would for sure get a second or third opinion about it first. OCD you don't need a diagnosis until later in life but the other you for sure want one with.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:54 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Yes I would and I would also go for a second opinion.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 9:55 AM on May. 9, 2011

• If you can cope, why the need for a diagnosis? You can always do it somewhere down the line if you need to. Are you looking for a diagnosis for purposes of an IEP? 504 plan? Just having a diagnosis is not a guarantee of getting either of those put into place. Leave well enough alone; our kids need to stop being labeled and just be kids, quirks and all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on May. 9, 2011

• We can cope with the obsessive behaviors (lining up toys, having everything in it's own place, needing a certain routine or it throws off his entire day, etc), but with the other problem behaviors, we haven't been able to help him with (random aggression, sensory issues, social anxiety, etc). And, yes, it would be for the purpose of the school in the event he needed any special accomodations. I'd rather know now and start teaching him techniques to deal rather than putting it off. We've gone through the whole diagnosis process with my DH's oldest, and it's taken a full school year after the diagnosis for anything to start getting put in place. We don't want that with DS, too, when he starts Kindergarten next year.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:07 AM on May. 9, 2011

• I'll note SD's diagnosis is ADHD, not OCD or Asperger's.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:08 AM on May. 9, 2011

• I would want to get another opinion
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:10 AM on May. 9, 2011

• I would get a 2nd opinion and make sure that is what is going on.... that way IF there is a diagnosis you can talk to the teachers, and get an IEP in place (if it is needed). Good luck!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:22 AM on May. 9, 2011

• if it is asps., it can be helpful to have early intervention. Better to be safe than sorry. You could be kicking yourself for the rest of your life.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:46 AM on May. 9, 2011

• I definitely would go for the diagnosis, there are so many things that will come up in the future and you will need a behavior plan for school. The more structure and help he gets now will benefit him. I wish we had gotten a diagnosis at this age!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 12:28 PM on May. 10, 2011