I am 19 years old. and Im 17 weeks pregnant...and...I smoke cigarettes!

I beat myself up over it all the time... I get criticized for it all the time, and people tell me that i dont love my baby etc if i cant put them down. Everyone in my house smokes and it is SO hard for me. I want to quit, but im having serious difficulties with it... I love this child. and i just want him/her to be healthy, and i just need advice or SOMETHING!

Amanda940

Asked by Amanda940 at 10:28 AM on May. 9, 2011 in Pregnancy

• It's all will power. If you want to quit, you will. GL.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:31 AM on May. 9, 2011

• This is a soft spot for me so I will tell you the cold hard truth. My aunt smoked when she was pregnant and her baby seemed healthy when delivered. After several months the baby became colicky, then had to be hospitalized due to breathing issues that were traced back to smoking during pregnancy. My cousin has severe learning disabilities, cannot gain weight ptoperly and will never be able to live life to the same potential as you and I b/c her mom was selfish and put her needs before her own daughter.

Quit. Quit now. It isn't your babies place to suffer due to yourt bad habit.
    wendydays

Answer by wendydays at 10:32 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Try the somkeless electronic ciggarette! I would also be finding a new place to live,, surely the people you live with are going to want to smoke outside once the baby comes!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:34 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Do anything you have to. Go to your doctor and ask if they have tips to quit while you're pregnant. I know it's difficult but trust me it will be more difficult if your child has issues because of it.
    aishanabuaisha

Answer by aishanabuaisha at 10:37 AM on May. 9, 2011

• you just HAVE to do it.. period. I was smoking for 14 years before I got pregnant at 28 - Once finding out I was pregnant I Quit.. before that I've tried everything and anything to quit and couldn't because it was TOO hard.. but its no longer about you - its about this baby so you just have to do it ...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:38 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Talk to your doctor and see if he/she can recomend a healthy/safe way for you to quit smoking. I also would think about moving out of the house and into a place that is smoke-free, that way you wont have your family or the smoking in the house sabotage your efforts. Good luck!!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:38 AM on May. 9, 2011

• You pray and then sit every one in the house down and explain to them how you feel and the dangers of smoking and second hand smoke and if that don't work then pray and you will have to exercise some serious self-control and find something else to do besides smoke and most of all if they don't care and don't listen to you then ........pray that your child enters the world healthy. Think of it like this.....my baby is trying so hard to breath, so I'm NOT GOING TO SMOKE....and DON"T. I know, I smoked the first 2 months and I had to stop and it was VERY hard and on top of it my husband smoke like something terrible but I had to maintain self control and I prayed and prayed and it worked. I said that I'm not going to smoke, not going to buy them, not even one and I didn't. GOOD LUCK DEAR
    anju2011

Answer by anju2011 at 10:39 AM on May. 9, 2011

• I would try a stop smoking aide like Nicorette gum or a patch. The electronic cigarette that kimigogo mentioned is a good idea, too. I have heard so many sad stories about babies that have ended up with some sort of birth defect, lung problems, etc. If you can't do this for your baby now, you are going to have a difficult time with all the other sacrifices a Mother has to make for their children, and trust me, there are plenty sacrifices to be made. Please try some of the alternatives for your baby's sake.
    Kelly502

Answer by Kelly502 at 10:39 AM on May. 9, 2011

• If you are having a hard time with it you can try what I did....it takes longer to quit but I stoped durring my pregnancy. Depending on how much you smoke now cut that down by about half....have someone take the rest of your pack so you are stuck with that many....I started with 5 a day and only that 5 for a week...next week I was down to only 4 and just keep nocking it down till you dont smoke any. Its hard at first because you are cutting back just starting off but if you start with to many its just going to take way to long. Good luck hun you can do it...it will just take a little time. I know i cant stop like that and I got the same thing of not loving my child because i smoke....I still get that now. But dont let it get to you....being pregnant can be hard enough without letting people get you down. If you need to talk message me =)
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 10:46 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Im going to start off by saying sorry right off the bat here.....

Durring the time it took me to write my responce of SUPPORT! I am shocked that there are people here trying to scare the hell out of her.....She needs help and advice...not to be tramatized.....its better to help people when they need it rather then being an ass about it.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 10:51 AM on May. 9, 2011