What the....?

This is one of the rare times that a post on CM has actually upset me. I found a question last night where a single mom is planning to leave her children. Just planning to be gone when they come home from school, to a locked house, where someone will "get the hint" and take care of her kids. I realize that she could be a troll, but there is a chance that she's not, and I just want to scream. I guess it's just beyond my comprehension that someone could be this way, and aside from people being strung out on drugs, I never considered that someone could be so cold. Is that naive?

Anyway, my question is: What kind of laws are in place to protect children? Could this woman face punishment for leaving? I hope so, and I'll console myself with the hopes that one day she'll get everything she has coming to her.

DusterMommy

Asked by DusterMommy at 10:30 AM on May. 9, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Wow that post has left me speechless. I CANNOT imagine EVER leaving my children. When you have children you make a lifelong commitment to them and that's that.
    aishanabuaisha

Answer by aishanabuaisha at 10:33 AM on May. 9, 2011

• OMG WTF?!

I am curious about the laws too OP.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Wow, that is amazing.. I would really hope she was just venting and that is the end of it. Your kids are what you make them. If you allow them to walk all over you they will.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:32 AM on May. 9, 2011

• I seen it.. I'm wondering if you could report it to CM and see if they could run it to the police??? worth a shot.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:18 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I didn't read all the replies but it sounds to me, in the post, that she's planning to take the kids with her when she moves into the friend's house? Or did I misread that?
    Anonymous

• I don't know what the laws are, but this happens- since the beginning of time.
    My MIL's mother did this to their family in the late 50's. They had 13 children.
    Probably why my MIL is so effed up in the head. Nothing was ever done to the mother, and the father moved on without any of the kids.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:32 AM on May. 9, 2011

• I also wanted to add that I do not see how she could she could even consider such a thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on May. 9, 2011

She said she was considering having a "friend" who is hard up for money move into their house, and then leave the kids with her. Later, she said she was just going to pack up and leave while they were at school, then leave them to come home to a locked house, and hope that someone "gets the hint" and takes the kids.
    DusterMommy

Comment by DusterMommy (original poster) at 10:34 AM on May. 9, 2011

• That is horrible! If she does not want to be burdened by having her kids then she should contact the authorities or a trusted family member/friend and make arrangements for her kids..... I feel very sick and sad at the thought those poor kids would come home to a locked house and not know what is going on, or know who to turn to for help. I feel very sorry for those kids... they do not deserve to be treated like that!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:35 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Ish. I read this and it makes my heart break!!!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:35 AM on May. 9, 2011