Cat Problem, Please HELP!! (long, sorry)

I have two cats that stay indoors. Out of the 11 houses on my street, 5 have cats. Two of the neighbors let their cats run freely outdoors. The problem is that they will not stay away from our house. We have had to stop feeding the birds and squirrels from our deck because the cats will lay on the railing under the feeders to catch the birds and squirrels.

The BIGGEST problem is that these cats fret mine, and mine feel the need to mark the basement door almost daily. And whatever else they want to. My house smells like cat pee constantly!!

We have told one of the neighbors who own the worst two cats, she couldn't care less. She was more worried about her "precious babies" that choose the middle of the road as their napping spot. After hearing that, you would think she would put them inside, but no. The other neighbor is absolutely impossible, so talking to her is out.

My cats have both been fixed, and have access to a clean litterbox. My husband is ready to kill them or get rid of them. The oldest is 9 and they both are scared of everyone but us. It would break my heart to get rid of them. They both were strays that we saved. I love them, but cannot keep on going like this! Anyone else had this problem? What did you do??

AngieBry

Asked by AngieBry at 10:47 AM on May. 9, 2011 in Pets

• I am a 'cat mom' too and I keep mine inside. So I know what you are saying about not liking the other cats 'teasing' yours and the cat pee smell in the house. Does your city have pet laws? Mine does and I was told that if the neighbors animal comes on my property I can take a picture of it (as proof) and then go to the police station and file a report. Then if there are enough complaints the owners will get talked to and could loose their pets. I would also check the pet stores and see if they have any cat=be=gone stuff you can sprinkle around your property to deter the cats.... or you could try to 'scare' them away when they are in your yard... (I know someone that would spray the cat with a hose and eventually the cats avoided him and his yard).
    Good luck!!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:15 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Went through the same thing! When the other person is not willing to bring their cat in....its time to call animal control....thats what I had to do before...I talked to the lady first and told her that if she did not get her cats then I would call....and I gave her a week....its not that hard to bring a cat in....but she didnt...so i called. I think i was more shocked that she didnt care rather then going to get her pet back. But it stopped my cat from marking in my house....Now im having a hard time because I now have a female who seems to always be in heat because a damn spotted thing that will come in my backyard every night...I tried to catch him so i could call the shelter but no luck so far...a horney cat is no fun...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on May. 9, 2011

• At this point getting rid of your own cats will not stop the others from spraying, marking and hanging out in your yard. I would either call animal control or try to catch them. If they don't have collars they will be taken to a shelter- and honestly if the owners care that little then that's about the best thing for them. Have you ever thought about getting a dog? I don't mean a little one - A good medium to large dog. Having a dog that is frequently let outside can deter neighborhood cats really well. And most indoor cats become the dominant one in the dog- cat relationship.

Just a thought.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 11:11 AM on May. 9, 2011

• sounds like it is time to break out the spray bottle or hose and give those neighbor cats a once over.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:50 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Buy something like this and the cats will leave your house alone.

http://www.amazon.com/Havahart-5265-Detector-Sprinkler-Repellent/dp/B000BO71NY

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:55 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Well in out city, cats can roam freely so no animal control can be called. I guess you could capture the cats and take them to the pound, my cat "marks" when another cat comes to the window or door, and your right the smell is awful.. I have not found a way to prevent her from doing this, but did get some stuff at the pet store that kills the smell. I think you could spray the cats with the hose when they come into your yard, the pet store also sold stuff to keep them out of flowerbeds etc,, but it didn't work for me, I am curious to see if anyone has a better solution other than taking the strays to the pound.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:56 AM on May. 9, 2011

• If there are no laws about letting them roam, your best recourse is the sensor water things mentioned, along with a squirt bottle and a firm attitude. Let the outside sprinkler work when you aren't nearby to spot them, but use that squirt bottle and a 'mean' voice to tell them to go home/shoo. Cats only lounge about where they feel comfortable and not threatened. A squirt bottle won't hurt them, but a wet face and butt (follow up once they start moving!!) will annoy them endlessly. If they get soaked by something/someone every time they wander into your yard or lounge on your deck, they will gradually pick new hangout spots.

I use/have used squirt bottles to deter my own cats from things I don't want them to do (including marking the house btw), and it's one of the kindest ways to get their attention.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 12:54 PM on May. 9, 2011

• I would call animal control and tell them that the cats are trying to kill the wildlife and they are making yours upset and causing you problems. Also, if they don't have a collar and proper up-to-date on shots then they shouldn't be roaming around. Don't worry about notifying your neighbors either because you have tried the best approach, which was to talk to them and they don't care so why should you about their animals.
    Aeternam

Answer by Aeternam at 8:28 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Do we live on the same street?? HAHA J/K...I am having a similar problem here too!
    wendydays

Answer by wendydays at 10:49 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Look, anon, I don't need attitude. My husband loves the cats, but not how they are acting. You try to smell cat pee everyday for 3 yrs or so, and see how happy you are about it!!
    AngieBry

Comment by AngieBry (original poster) at 10:52 AM on May. 9, 2011