Trying to avoid another situation with CPS, I need help moms!

OK, back in March is when the whole CPS thing started. We finally closed the investigation portion of the case, which is good. The whole reason why CPS got involved in the first place was because my kids had a bruise on their hip and CPS said that area was A-Typical, meaning not a general area where kids normally get bruises. We finally figured out where the kids were getting their bruises, it was being caused by how they went up and down their ladder on their wooden bunk bed. So daddy and I took down the bunk bed and converted the bed into two twin beds. But I am having trouble getting my children to understand the seriousness of them jumping on their beds, lifting up their mattresses and walking across their boards. There was a problem over this weekend, where one of my twins was...jumping on her bed, fell off, bumped her head, not too hard, but enough to cause a small bruise on her forehead, about the size of a pointer finger nail. She also hit her hip on the side board on the way down. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what we should do? I would try and put them into one big queen sized bed without a frame, but I am not sure on state laws about 2 4yr old twin girls sharing a bed, and my kids have a huge problem sharing a bed together.

JohnsonFamily5

Asked by JohnsonFamily5 at 11:15 AM on May. 9, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• First of all - what a horrible situation to be in. That must be so stressful for you and I can empathize. Secondly, I agree with the suggestions of sleeping with just the mattress. If you can't do that, I would suggest keeping the bedroom off limits when the kids are not sleeping. Close the door - and make sure they don't go in. When it is time to sleep, put them in the bed and stay there until they go to sleep. If they get up, gently put them back down and say, "no, no - its sleepy time". You may have to do this over and over again. Eventually they will tire and fall asleep. Each day they will get up less and less and it should end up with you putting them in their beds, sitting close by for a short while and then finally with you being able to put them to bed without being there at all. Normally, I am a fan of stricter discipline - but with disabilities like that, I would take the more gentle yet firm approach. Good luck!
    MamaTL

Answer by MamaTL at 2:04 PM on May. 10, 2011

• If my kids couldn't act right and not take the bed apart and walk on the frame, they'd only have a mattress in the floor to sleep on
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:17 AM on May. 9, 2011

• I'd put some bruises on their back ends if they didn't mind you. Really, I would do that but I understand your fears. I'd remove the mattresses and put them on the floor if they won't stop. When they get bigger and realize furniture is not for playing on, they can have big people beds.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:20 AM on May. 9, 2011

• oh mama im so sorry you are going through this. my daughter has a bruise on her hip i saw yesterday and shes 6 so i dont see how this is a big concern to CPS. hmm maybe you could take off the frames of the beds and just have the mattress's for them. im really not sure i wish i could help you
    aschwarz06

Answer by aschwarz06 at 11:20 AM on May. 9, 2011

• How did CPS get involved in the first place? Did a friend or family member call them? Did the Dr call them? I would get rid of the beds with bunk boards, and get a traditional bed with a mattress and box spring. Then if they insist on jumping then there aren't any boards. I would also make them take time outs every time they do something you don't want them to do. There has to be consequences. You have to discipline them every time they do it though, or they won't take you serious, and keep getting worse.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:20 AM on May. 9, 2011

• I agree with the first mom. Take away the frame and use only mattresses. I know alot of families where the kids only sleep on a mattress on the floor for the same reasons u stated.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:23 AM on May. 9, 2011

• I know it's a nuisance, but what about keep a journal of the bed jumping a bruises? If you have prior proof of "rough housing", it's harder to build a case against you should it ever come up again as an abusive parent would not keep records, they typically say that their children are clumsy and leave it that vague. A journal give you credibility that you are not hurting your children should it come up again.
    I'm sorry this came up for you, it's nerve wracking thinking the state is looking over your shoulder, but I think this will pass quickly. Think about the journal
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 11:27 AM on May. 9, 2011

• I would put the mattresses on the floors and teach them how to listen.. Why isnt CPS talking to the kids and asking them how they got their bruises?
    Rsangel64

Answer by Rsangel64 at 11:26 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Who called CPS about the hip bruises in the first place? at 4, no one should be looking around the hip area besides mom and dad anyway! I would take the beds down and make them sleep on mattresses only.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:30 AM on May. 9, 2011

• I am so sorry that you are going through this. My advice would be to put the mattresses on the floor. Talk to your girls about in door play and give them rules, no jumping or rough play inside the house. Take them to your local park and allow them to run, jump and be free. Make a simple saftey chart with what is allowed inside. Allow your daughters to have craft time, story time make indoor time fun. I am a mom of twin boys who are seven and I understand how twins feed off of each other and their little minds are always working together. My boys are full of energy and I have taken them both to ER several times due to their wildness. Some kids are just wired this way.
    mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 11:44 AM on May. 9, 2011